Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Random Thoughts On... Superhero Costumes and The State of Superman's Trunks

Before I get to the main stuff, here are some alternate titles:
  • "Random Thoughts On… When Superhero Costumes Change and why Superman’s Trunks Need to Die!!!"
  • "Random Thoughts On…  Superhero Costumes and the Coolness of Superman’s Trunks"
  • "Random Thoughts On… Superhero Costumes Redesigns and Why Superman Still Has Trunks"
  • "Random Thoughts On… Why No one loses their #^$^ over Batman’s Trunks as well as other heroes"
  • "Random Thoughts On… When Superhero Costumes Go Wrong!"
  • "Random Thoughts On… Yo Momma!"

I was just kidding about that last one. Yes, it’s 2018 and saying “yo momma” will never go out of style.

So, a random question recently entered my mind: why do folk get so bent out of shape over Superman’s trunks? They also do this over Batman, but I’m focusing on Supes more. Folk were shocked when they were removed for the New 52 and the DCEU. Recently, as of Action Comics #1000, they’re back for some reason. You pretty much have folk on both sides clamoring for the return of the trunks and folk wondering what the heck DC is thinking. So, what is my opinion on the whole #TheTrunksAreBack “controversy”? Do I think Clark should be out and proud with the trunks or should he put them back in the briefs section at the Fortress? Yes, that’ll be my only jab at my favorite superhero’s fashion… I think.

Before I get to that probably quick answer, I thought I’d talk about costumes in general. Now, I’m not some connoisseur on fashion or some even a rank amateur in the subject. I just know what I like and what I don’t like. Also, with fashion, you turn to the left, turn to the right, and hope the Goon Squad doesn’t find you in town. Hopefully, all of this doesn’t come out as the ramblings of a mostly sane man. With all that said, "Beep-beep!"

After that question popped into my head, I started thinking about other heroes and their costumes. I especially thought about when costumes for most characters go through a major change. Pretty much everyone has had a costume change at some point. Some have stuck while others eventually revert to the original look… well, Luke Cage didn’t. He probably looked fly back in the 70’s, but he’d look horrible now with that yellow disco shirt and tiara. I can say the same about Nightwing’s first suit even though I actually like that one. Collars do it for me, man.
Yeah, I have a fondness for this costume even though his modern look is his best.

If there’s one team that’s gone through the gamut in changing costumes, it’s the X-Men. Heck, they were doing it even in the late 60’s. It’s a tradition that continues on today.  I don’t know how many costumes Cyclops, Storm, or Wolverine have worn, but it’s been more than three. Even though they sport new looks every decade, you know it’s them. Fashion changes every decade for us, so you know it needs to change for superheroes. Heck, if Wolverine’s brown and tan costume (it is his best costume, guys) means anything, it means that change can be a good thing. You also look at other redesigns over the years with other characters like Spider-Man (black suit), Captain America (Captain suit), Thor (JMS costume), Green Arrow (Longbow Hunters look), and others.
I gotta say, the X-Men are the best at what they do and that thing is knowing when to change clothes!

Then, you got heroes whose costumes pretty much stay the same. They may get a few alterations, but it’s not many. The only ones I can think of right now are the Flash, Spider-Man (yeah, I know he had the black suit), Superman, Batman, and a few others. They have costumes that are pretty iconic and sometimes, you don’t want to mess with that. Spider-Man’s costume is especially cool. It’s so cool even Hollywood gets it right for the most part.
These are some of my favorite new suits or redesigns in comics. Yes, I like the Electric Superman look. Even if he stayed in the costume for too long, it's still a cool look.

Unfortunately, you’ll get costumes that just go wrong. Either it doesn’t fit the character or it’s just a bad design overall.  While I did rag on Luke Cage’s first look, at least it was passable for the time. Other looks from the past to today haven’t been that good nor flattering. There were probably a few looks that made folk wonder what the artist was drinking or smoking. I know someone had to be pretty loopy to make Tyroc’s (Legion of Superheroes member) original costume look so bad. I think I need to take a complaint to the NAACP for that one!
Some remarks on these "good" costumes:
-Yes, that is Hawkeye!
-No, I don't know why Black Canary is getting her Flashdance on!
-Yeah, I covered up Starfire's New 52 look with another horrible costume. It's literally a hot mess!
-It should be a crime to dress a brotha up like that!

You can also look at redesigns from the 90’s especially with the Avengers and the Fantastic Four. If anyone remembers Sue Richards’ really clad costume, you probably know what I’m talking about. You can even look at the Azrael Batman with the “Deadly Death-Claws of Death.” Even recent costume designs for characters haven’t been great.  Look at Starfire’s costume during the New 52… or just glance at it. I like Kenneth Rockafort, but what was he thinking about—wait, never mind. I know what he was thinking.  

So, what is my answer on the whole trunks issue? I’d make a Dragonball Z joke, but I can’t rag on that cool dude. Honestly, I’m mixed on it, but I lean a little toward the rid side. When I first heard the trunks were coming back, I figured it was inevitable. DC had been slowly bring back Superman’s classic look  in the comics and the trunks were the only thing missing. It made sense for the most part especially since it was Superman’s 80th birthday. While you had some folk happy and some folk irritated, I was like “Well, it looks alright, but what are you going to do about these dang prices? Also, Bendis may not be too bad on Superman!”
It sucks that this look didn't stay around long. It was pretty good.

I will admit that I was a little irritated with the recent change mostly because Superman’s newer costume post-Superman Reborn looked pretty nice. It felt like a good merging of his classic look and New 52 look. By the way, I also like his New 52 look since it had the essentials. To me, the trunks don’t feel essential to Superman. yeah, he’s worn them for years, but they ain’t the first thing I think about. I think about the colors, the S-shield, the cape, the boots, and the hair before I get there. Also, it is a part of the costume that does feel a little outdated.

That being said, I do see why they are there visually. It does add a little more color to all of the blue on the suit. I also admit that even with the recent look, something does feel missing. Heck, Superman had the trunks for years, so it makes sense that something would look missing. At the end of the day, the trunks are not a deal-breaker for me. I can take them or leave them. I think the thing that annoys me is other fans’ reactions about them. Yeah, fans of anything can be cool, but they can also be kinda annoying at times. I say this as a fan of many things, so I’m throwing myself in that bucket too.

With or without trunks, Superman’s costume is one of the best. Even though it’s had modifications over the years, it still holds up. A lot of superhero costumes still hold up. That being said, there’s nothing wrong with a little redesign here or there. Still, artists need to be careful and not go too far with certain looks. Comics are a visual medium and the human eye can only take so much crap. Yeah, I’m talking about Starfire’s New 52 costume… talk about a *hot* mess. Until then, Peace, God Bless, and be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment