Monday, December 31, 2018

Favorites? - 10 Things I'm Not a Fan of in Star Wars

Well, it’s the end of the year and I got a couple of more posts in me. Since I haven’t really talked about Star Wars much and since it’s raining cats and dogs outside, I wanted to touch on something Star Wars-related. I’ve really only had one post dedicated to the franchise this year. Unfortunately (for you probably), it’s not for the stuff I like. Today’s list is going to about the stuff I’m not too keen on in Star Wars. I’m only limiting this to the movies since I’d be here all day. Also, there is one thing about the franchise that I would put on the main list, but it doesn’t fit the criteria. Besides, fans of anything can be annoying at times. So, let’s start with the incest!

10. “They’re Tongue-locking, Lip-smacking Siblings!”
First up is the fact that Lucas made Luke and Leia siblings. Now, this was a bad thing to do, per se. It makes Luke’s flip out on Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi have some weight. That being said, that was a weird twist since Luke and Leia locked lips a few times in the previous movies. Heck, He, Han, and Leia had a bit of love triangle going on until ROTJ. I’m guess Lucas wanted to take Luke out of that equation, so he made Luke and Leia siblings. I guess the rules on incest are different in the Star Wars universe or something.

9. Solo: An Unnecessary Star Wars Story
Now, I did think Solo was a fine movie for the most part. It was fun, the acting was on point, and it felt like Star Wars. That being said, did this really need to happen? I can name a few characters I’d rather see a movie about and Han Solo isn’t one of them. Heck, I’ll take Boba Fett movie over him and I think Fett’s overrated! At least Darth Maul’s cameo at the end was worth it!

8. The Clone Wars Movie itself
While this was for the TV show, this isn’t a cheat since it was released in theatres. While the show was pretty good, this “movie pilot” was far from it. It wasn’t a bad movie and it even started out well from what I remember. The Jedi and Clones were knee-deep in a battle. It’s after that long intro where the movie goes down when our heroes must save Jabba’s son, Rotta, aka “Stinky.” Yeah… at least the show was good post-Season 1.

7.“Finn is Kinda Lame, Man!”
When I found out that John Boyega would be playing a stormtrooper and wielding a lightsaber in The Force Awakens, I was like “Cool!” Then, I see the movie and Finn is pretty much your comic relief sidekick for Rey. “Yay, the black dude is funny,"  I sarcastically say. Yeah, he gets some cool moments here and there, but of all the newer characters, Finn’s not one of my favorites. At least Boyega tries to make him cool. Hopefully, Episode 9 does treat Finn and the rest of the new folk well.

6. Some of the Last Jedi
Now, I do like The Last Jedi. I can’t say it’s in my top five SW movies, but it could be after a rewatch. I’m not sure yet. That being said, I did have some problems with plotlines in the movie, namely the whole Poe mutiny thing. I even liked the Canto Bight sequence better than, but I’ll admit that the Rose/Finn adventure went a little long. The mutiny doesn’t feel earned since we really don’t spend that much time on the Resistance ship. If they had fleshed out Poe and Holdo more, I probably would have liked it more. Unfortunately, they didn’t. At least that whole Ship fuel sequence ended with Holdo’s cool suicide maneuver.

5. The Ewoks (sort of)
I will admit that the Ewoks are kind of cool. I mean, they’re so cuddly! I wouldn’t take one up as a pet since he may eat me, though. That being said, how did these furry folk take down well-armed Stormtroopers? I don’t get it! If there’s one thing about ROTJ I don’t like, it’s that right there. I can’t see these things taking out Clone Troopers!

4. Anakin’s swift turn to the Dark Side in ROTS
While Revenge of the Sith was a good movie, Anakin’s turn to the Dark Side was pretty swift. One moment, he’s good-ish  since he was in a forbidden relationship. Then, things go down and all the sudden, he’s evil and killing his allies. At least The Clone Wars did go into detail with Anakin’s  dissolution with the Jedi. Heck, I think the novelization may have done better work there since I’ve heard folk say it’s better than the movie.

3. Jar Jar Binks
Yeah, you knew this would be here. If I had to ask George Lucas one question it would be this: WHY? Jar Jar was so annoying in The Phantom Menace, a movie that isn’t as bad as folk say. He’s not really funny either. I guess Lucas wanted to duplicate the vibe R2-D2 and C-3PO had but it didn’t work here. I will say that Ahmed Best did what he could with the role. Also, when put under other folk, Jar Jar isn’t too bad in segments. I actually tolerated him on Clone Wars which is a shock. Still, the live-action version really doesn’t do it for me.

2. The Romance between Anakin and Padme in Attack of the Clones
There’s a reason AOTC is at the bottom of the list of SW movies. While Obi-Wan is going out doing some okay stuff and fighting Jango Fett, Anakin and Padme “fall in loooooovvvee.” Talk about a pretty bad romance, man. I like good romance every now and the, but this wasn’t it. It didn’t help that Anakin acted weird and did some messed up stuff. Then, you got Padme accepting it all and saying she loves him. How she still takes him after the Sand People incident still baffles me. While the relationship was a little better on Clone Wars (heck, everything was better), it started really poorly. It kind of ended poorly, but that was the point. Shoot, I should’ve just jumped on the screen and said, “Hey, get away from my woman!” or something.

1. The Dialogue  and Acting from the Prequels
Wow, the Prequels are getting whipped here! I almost made the Prequels a category itself, but that wouldn’t have been fair since there are good things there. Unfortunately, there are bad things and the dialogue and acting are the worst things about all three movies. Folk throw Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen under the bus, but almost everyone had to say uninteresting dialogue in an uninteresting/bland manner. Even really acclaimed actors/actresses sounded bad. The only folk who pulled it off were Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiamrid and even they had some… questionable moments. I know Lucas was trying to go for a more regal, Shakespearean vibe, but it didn’t work. It could have worked if someone had helped Lucas out a bit.

…………………………………………………………..

And that’s all I got for this one. I probably would have put more, but I got some plans for tonight. I may make another post before midnight, but if I don’t may you have a safe New Year’s Eve. Peace, God Bless, and be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment