Sunday, August 24, 2014

Music Retrospective - Michael Jackson: Blood on the Dance Floor - History in the Mix

So, it’s Another Michael Jackson album in the same month. It must be the water or it could be the fact that a certain Man of Steel will be the subject of next month. Today’s album is Blood on the Dance Floor: History in the Mix. It was released in 1997 and it released three singles. Jackson only worked on five songs from the album. The rest of the songs, which are remixes of songs from HIStory, were worked on by other artists. It sold well but not at the levels of the other albums.

This is one album I don’t physically own. My sister owns it and I was able to download it from her copy. I wondered if I should skip this album because it’s essentially a remix album. Still, there are five “new” songs on here, so I should at least talk about them. I won’t talk about the remixes much since there’s really not much to say about them. With all of that said, let’s get a mop and clean this mess up!

Blood on the Dance Floor: History In The Mix

  • Blood on the Dance Floor – The album starts off with the usual fast, funky song. The song is about Susie, a woman who’s out to get back at a man. The song’s in the same vein as songs like “Dirty Diana,” “Dangerous,” and “Billie Jean.” Susie (hopefully not “Little Susie”) is pretty mad and wants to get this guy. Overall, It’s an okay song. It’s not one of his best starting songs, but it’s a pretty decent one. It has a nice beat, it’s not too long, and the lyrics are cool.
  • Morphine – Next up is a pretty foreshadowing song. “Morphine” is simply about drug addiction. The music for the first and last part is loud, fast, and a little chaotic. The lyrics make little sense in those parts as well. We even get some cuss words there too. The middle part is different in that the music gets soft and Jackson’s lyrics get coherent. I heard that Jackson had dealt with addiction to some of the drugs mentioned. The song’s also pretty eerie since Jackson had one of the drugs (Demerol) in his system when he died over a decade after the song was released. Overall, the song is also okay but it’s not one of my favorites.
  • Superfly Sister – Next up is another fast song. From what I can tell, the song is about how people regard relationships and sex. He talks about how some guys are just in it for the sex. It’s an interesting song, I’ll give it that. The song itself sounds like it should have been on either Bad or Dangerous. It probably was supposed to be on there, I just don’t know. It also really reminds me of Cameo’s “Word Up.” Just listen to both of them and you’ll see what I mean. Overall, I like the song. It’s not one of the best, but it gets the feet moving.
  • Ghosts – Next up is a song that’s kind of like “Thriller” since it has that horror feel. Unlike “Thriller,” the song is not about love. It’s about how the media follows him and disturbs him. Yes, it’s another song that disses the media.  One thing I can say about Jackson is that he can make the best disses sound good. The music is good as always and the lyrics are cool. Overall, I like the song and it might be my second favorite song on here.
  • Is It Scary – The last new song on here is one that may sound familiar. “Is It Scary” was actually a prototype to “Ghosts.” It was originally supposed to be on the Addams Family Values soundtrack and on HIStory. Both songs have some of the same lyrics and their message is similar. I think this one disses on the media more since Jackson calls them monstrous. The music also has the horror vibe to it. In the end, I really like this song. The music is really cool and I just like the feel to it. It’s probably my favorite song on the album.
  • After “Is It Scary,” we enter remix world for the next 8 tracks. They are all from HIStory. The songs that were remixed were “Scream,” “Money,” “History,” “Earth Song,” “This Time Around,” “2 Bad,” “You Are Not Alone,” and “Stranger in Moscow.” While they are all something you can “shake ya talefeather” to, they make me want to listen to the um-mixed versions. They’re not bad… well, most of them aren’t, but there’s nothing really to them. They’re just dance songs. My favorites of the remixes are “Scream Louder,” “Stranger in Moscow,” and “History.”
Favorite Song – I have to go with “Is it Scary.” It’s has the best music on the album and I really like the lyrics.

Least Favorite Song – I actually have to go with the remix to “Earth Song.” It just doesn’t feel right. It’s too long and it even leaves out the epic 2-minute ending!

In the end, the album is okay. It’s not really good, but it’s not bad either. If I had to give it a grade, I’d give it a C+ or something like that. The new songs that are included are pretty good. While we get the usual media-bashing, evil-woman songs, we also get a couple of songs that center on something Michael usually doesn’t sing about. While the remixes aren’t really interesting, they are still worthy to dance to. If you just want an album full of Michael’s dance music, then this is the album for you. On the other hand, if you want something more than only dance music, you’ll be disappointed.

That’s pretty much all I have to say on the album. If you just want to listen to the newer songs, you can find those anywhere. If you also want to hear the remixes, then I recommend it. They’re not bad, but the album just lacks something after you listen to the newer songs. Well, it looks like I may have one more album to go. I’ve considered looking at ones like Xscape, but I don’t know yet. Since I don’t know what songs could have been on here, here’s a link to the original version of “Xscape.” It’s not a bad song. Next month is Superman Month, so Invincible will have to wait. Until then, Peace and God Bless. Now excuse me as I go read a comic where a rabbit knocks out a giant, blue baby. Yes, it’s written by Grant Morrison.

NEXT TIME: INVINCIBLE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment