Sunday, October 2, 2011

Graphic Novels - DCnU Superman

Well, I'm finally at the end of Superman Month. I have to say that this was a nice little project. It was so nice that I have decided to start doing more of these themed months for things. I don't know what yet, but I hinted before that the next thing I may do has a "Star" in it, so you may know what it is if you have read more of my stuff (or just know me).

So, we are finally here at the new DCU, and it looks kinda good. I've gotten 6 of the 52. They've ranged from "meh" to pretty good.
  • Action Comics #1 - you'll see below.
  • Aquaman #1 - This was a book I wasn't even interested in buying. The character's okay, but he's not my type. That being said, this book was pretty good. It's Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis on the title, so you know it will be good.
  • Demon Knights #1 - Another book I thought I would not be interested in. It's basically JLA set in the Dark Ages. We see some familiar faces like Jason Blood/Etrigan and Vandal Savage. I liked it. It set up the characters well and ended with a chilling cliffhanger.
  • Justice League #1 - This book, which started off this whole thing, was decent. It had a nice story and nice art. I will admit that it felt too quick and it would be great if I saw everyone instead of 4 characters. I do have to admit that last page was AWESOMMEEEE!!!!!
  • Static Shock #1 - This book was probably the my least favorite. It's okay, but it throws you into the issue without actually introducing some characters. I only really know Static from the cartoon, and this issue really didn't do it for me. 
  • Teen Titans #1 - This was pretty decent as well. We get re-introduced to Tim, Cassie, Bart (I think and hope) and Superboy (not Conner anymore --yet). It sets up a nice premise and I want to see where it goes.
  • I wanted to get Batman #1 and Superman #1, but they ran out. Drat.
And now, it's time to look at Action Comics #1 (No, the new one).

Action Comics #1
Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Rags Morales


Instead of a big synopsis of the whole book, I'll just give my opinion and some tidbits on it.  We get introduced to an Superman who has been active for about 6 months. He's at a Golden Age power level, but he's getting more powerful. He's brash and more extreme when concerning baddies. His intro proves that. He busts into a high-rise building where some corrupt businessman is. He takes out the man's guards and strong-arms the man into a confession.  This is a Superman who is not afraid to tick off the law of the land when it concerns truth and justice. He ends up getting chased by the cops, and then the military comes in to handle him with tanks and guns and stuff. It's here where we get introduced to Lex Luthor, who is awesome here. He calls Superman 'it' and considers him to be a parasite. General Sam Lane wants Superman apprehended by 8:30 PM. Luthor says he will do this. Superman escapes from "The Law" and even saves a few lives in the process. While he is brasher and more extreme, he still does his job in protecting innocents. We get introduced to Clark Kent, who does have a little....(trying to do a British accent)...Harry Potter feel to him. He works for the Daily Star and does some fine work for them by calling out corruption in Metropolis. He also lives in Peter Parker's apartment from Spider-Man 2. At least it doesn't have that annoying landlord there. 

Wow! That guys not even dead!

We get introduced to Jimmy Olsen, who's a friend of Clark's, and Lois Lane, who is shocked that Jimmy knows Clark. They are following someone on a train. Clark finds out that the train is going to haywire, so he changes and tries to stop the train. By the way, this is some nice art. Superman, who is not a strong as we know him to be, struggles with the train, and eventually stops the train. Unfortunately, he gets pinned to a "building by this speeding locomotive" and the cops come in to arrest him. Luthor then tells General Lane that he has apprended 'it' at 8:30 PM. TO BE CONTINUED...

As I said before, I like this issue. It introduces these characters nicely and even puts Superman in a different situation than he has been in (Golden Age withstanding). I do see why people are saying that he closely resembles Batman in his crime-fighting style and Peter Parker in his personal lifestyle.  Of course you can say that Superman did those things in his early days, and actually he did. Superman, in the Golden Age, was ...hardcore back in those days. The guy beats the crap out of a domestic abuser (that actually gets mentioned in the issue, which was funny) and busts down doors to politicians' homes. This was not a nice Superman, which was what he became later on. He also was a little like Peter in his personal life as well. Lois Lane wouldn't give him a chance at all for a date, and that's about it for that comparison.

Anything complaints about the issue? Nope. I do wish that it was longer though. And that's all I have to say about this issue. I'm ready for issue 2.



Superman #1
Oh yeah, about this. Well, I have to say something:

"Superman gone ya'll!! Superman is gone!!!!"

That's what I was thinking Wednsday when I went to pick up the book. It was gone at both Hastings and Outer Limits, and it was only 11:30 AM. So, yeah, I won't be doing the review today, but I still will do it someday. From what I have heard and read through previews, it looks okay. The writing is a little old-school I must add, but on this blog I have talked about comics from that day. So, that's no issue for me.


........................

And with that, I officially end Superman Month. Now onto something else:

Hmmm....




No comments:

Post a Comment