Thursday, July 23, 2020

Not-so-Favorites - 12 Worst Superhero Comics in Live-Action

Well, now that I’ve praised live-action costumes, it’s time to dog on some! There are some truly bad costumes out there. Production teams tend to look at the costumes in comics and think “I can do better!” Sometimes, that does actually work out. Not everything will work in live-action. Other times, you get the costumes on this list. I got 12 heroes for this one. With all that said, let me first harp on my favorite Superhero’s worst costume:

1. Superman from the Arrowverse

I gotta throw a Superman on here, and it’s gonna be the Arrowverse version. I’d put the suit from Superman Returns at second, but I kinda like aspects of that suit. I can’t say the same for this one. While Tyler Hoechlin is good in the role, his costume sucks. The body is okay, but I don’t like that belt. Then, there’s the cape. I don’t get why it needs those clasps! It just doesn’t suit him, so I hope they adjust the suit in his own show.

2. Steel from Steel

Yeah, you know he’s gonna show up here. Not only was Shaq miscast in the role of John Henry Irons, he had a pretty horrible costume. The suit itself wasn’t great since it’s missing the things that make Steel a knockoff of the Man of Steel. The thing that made it horrible was that mask. I don’t get it. It doesn’t even seem that protective.

3. The Heroes from Batman and Robin

I don’t want to throw Joel Schumacher (RIP) down too much. Heck, he even wanted to make Batman Forever (a good movie with plenty flaws) a darker film, so I can’t blame him for everything. Still, the costumes for the heroes here suck so much. Yeah, the nipples are a big culprit, but they all just look so gaudy and flashy. Yeah, Batman may have had a campy side in the past, but this went too far. At least Alicia Silverstone was kinda hot in that suit… what? She looked good in the film.

4. Captain America from the 70’s movies and the 90’s movie

While Cap’s suit from the first Avengers movie is his worst one, there are much worse costumes for the character in general. I had to include both horrid suits. We have the suit from the Captain America  movies from the 1970’s and the 1990’s Captain America with the Italian Red Skull. Quite horrid films and costumes. Yeah, they might look close to what Cap looks like in the comics, but there are times where you can go too far with that. Both had some horrible masks/helmets too.

5. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from TMNT 3

Unfortunately, the Turtles had to show up here. No, the designs from the recent movies aren’t on this list. The Jim Henson Creature’s Shop didn’t return for the third TMNT movie, so we got All Effects Company doing these suits. I don’t think you call them turtles anymore! They look more like frogs on crack! The designers tried to capture that feeling of the first two movies, but they couldn’t. Heck, even Splinter looked off in that film. Also, what was up with those spots???

6. Green Lantern Hal Jordan from Green Lantern

Yeah, this needed to make it on the list. I could throw the whole Corps on here, but Hal will do. At least the rest of Corps looked okay with their suits. As for Hal… Nah. I get they were trying to have the uniform be all CG, but it didn’t work for me. The mask looked off, the extra lines on it look bad, and it just looks weird.

7. Wonder Woman from the unaired Wonder Woman pilot

Yeah, I’m including unaired stuff on here too. There was supposed to be a Wonder Woman show released around 2011, but thankfully, it didn’t come to be. Adrianne Palacki may have been a nice version of Diana, but her costumes looked horrible. She sported the pants look and even had the more traditional look, but it looked odd. Wonder Woman shouldn’t look odd! Apparently, that whole pilot was odd, so I’m glad we didn’t get more of it.

8. Red Tornado and the Atom from the CW shows

The Arrowverse has done well with costumes for the most part. They’ve had some issues though. I still remember Wally West’s thick neck with his first Kid Flash suit. There have been worst things, though. I already mentioned Superman, so another hero/villain must be on here. Red Tornado’s costume… what the heck was that? He was a prototype and all that, but that just looked odd. It’s like the had a field day with Velcro in the R&D department.  Another one is the Atom. I guess Brandon Routh couldn’t escape bad suits. It’s like they wanted an Iron Man clone on there, so Ray Palmer had to be that. The role was originally supposed to be Ted Kord (Blue Beetle), and that would’ve made more sense. Unfortunately, rights issues arose, so we got Iron Atom instead.

9. Blue Beetle from Smallville

Yes, we got Smallville on here for a bit. While they had hoodies for most heroes, I wasn’t too bothered by that. Season 10 tried to get more comic-accurate with some things, but they failed with Blue Beetle. Jamie Reye’s appears in “Booster” alongside Booster Gold, who actually made to my good list. As for BB, he looked horrible. It’s like they took too many lessons from Iron Man. The design just looked odd.

10. The X-Men from X-Men Dark Phoenix

While I still need to see Dark Phoenix, I gotta throw those new uniforms on here. I know they are an homage to Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, but they just look so bland. I’ll take the leather over these. While they weren’t accurate, they at least had some style to them! They made the X-Men look cool at least. Also, what happened to the suits from the end of X-Men: Apocalypse? Those were good, but we had get these bland things!

11. Cyborg from Smallville

I hate to do it especially since Lee Thompson Young (RIP) was good in the role of Vic Stone. Unfortunately, he ended up having a pretty garish suit as Cyborg. They went the Six Million Dollar Man route with Cyborg and didn’t go too far out with his look. It’s actually not a bad look for another character, but it is a bad look for Cyborg unfortunately. Luckily, it’s gotten better for our cool, black… cyborg. Do y’all think Marv Wolfman could’ve come up with a better name for him?

 .............................................

Okay, this is going to get a little too long with the villains added. I'll throw them into another post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment