Saturday, July 18, 2020

Favorites - 15 Favorite Supervillain Costumes in Live-Action

Well, if I gotta do the heroes, I need to do the villains as well. For the villains, we’ve had some good costumes and some costumes that are just “eh.” I think the villains get hit with this more than the heroes do. There’s something about the villains that most teams feel they need to fix. I think Green Goblin from the first Spider-man movie is an example of that. Heck, Green Goblin from Amazing Spiderman 2 is another example of that! What’s up with these bad Goblin costumes anyway? Hopefully, the MCU doesn’t get hit with its own barrage of bad Goblin costumes.

So, here are my 15 favorite supervillain costumes in live action. The same rules pretty much apply for this list as well. I’m looking at TV and movies. I will make an exception on one villain here because I couldn’t leave these suits off this list. It’s also in random order this time. I just started thinking about good costumes and just kept on until I couldn’t think of any more.

1. Wilson Fisk from Netflix’s Daredevil

I had to make the distinction between the two Kingpins. While Michael Clark Duncan looked good in that suit of his, Vincent D’Onofrio ruled in that role. The guy had a lot of suits to pick from. Even when he wasn’t wearing the traditional white suit, he looked awesome and intimidating.

2. Deathstroke from Titans and Justice League

I felt I had to make a cheat here since there are two Deathstroke suits out there that are pretty dang good. First up, we got Joe Joe Manganiello from Justice League. We only see it at the end where he’s meeting Lex Luthor, but it’s a good look for the mercenary. We also saw a bit of this suit in some behind-the-scenes footage. Next up, there’s Deathstroke’s uniform from Titans. Even though the lighting on that show can be so dim (seriously, what the crap Titans), you can tell that that costume looks intricate and detailed. Heck, both are pretty detailed, and I couldn’t make a decision on which was better.

3. Black Manta from Aquaman

Aquaman and Mera weren’t the only ones to have some good costumes. While Ocean Master’s suit was nice, I gotta comment on Black Manta’s armor. Not only did you have Yahya Abdul-Mateen doing it good, that costume was awesome. It was like it was ripped out of the comics. It’s a weird design especially when you consider the original suit from the comics. Manta looked threatening and pretty intimidating. I can only hope the design stays the same or even gets better in the next Aquaman film.

4. General Zod from Man of Steel

General Zod pretty much ruled in all of the suits he wore in Man of Steel. The general looked in charge whether he was in the Kryptonian skinsuit or that sweet battle armor. They both made him look menacing. While these suits may not have been accurate to the comics, they worked nonetheless. I don’t think Zod’s original costume would’ve looked threatening here.

5. Doctor Octopus from Spider-Man 2

The costumes from the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy ranged from “eh” to pretty good. The one that I thought was pretty cool while not too accurate was Doc Ock’s. I wasn’t exactly a fan of his original suit from the comics anyway. Heck, I’m more used to his armor look from the 90’s animated Spider-Man show. His look in the movie completely works and is pretty cool. I like the addition of a trenchcoat to hide those tentacles.  This look was so good, it got used in other animated shows. I’m not sure on the comics, though.

6. Deadshot from Suicide Squad

The costumes from Suicide Squad ranged from not too good to pretty nice. Y’all can probably guess who was at the bottom list with the Squad. One that was definitely up top was honestly Deadshot’s costume. While I wasn’t the biggest fan of having Will Smith in the role at first (there are black SS members he could’ve played), he was good as Deadshot. The costume was good as well even though it wasn’t completely accurate. I do wish he wore the mask more (gotta show that face!), but when put together, it worked pretty well.

7. Loki from the MCU

Loki’s costume was pretty good from the beginning of his time in the MCU. He’s had various ones in the comics, so they’ve could’ve just picked one. Instead, the designers went for something fresh but recognizable. Even though he rarely wears his helmet, the gold and green give him away. I’d probably say that my favorite is the one from the first Avengers movie. Heck, it was the one where he was at his most villainous, so that gets the pick.

8. Magneto from X-Men Days of Future Past

Now, Magneto has had had a barrage of costumes. There was his gray, militaristic one he wore in the original X-Men trilogy and the purple version of that suit in First Class. There was also his okay Apocalypse suit he wore in Apocalypse, and that was good for the most part. The one that I think takes the cake is his Days of Future Past uniform. He had the colors down and it looked pretty awesome for Magneto. I only wish it got to stick around for the later movies especially Dark Phoenix… guess which suits will go on the bad list.

9. Brainiac from Krypton

Krypton was a somewhat underrated Syfy show that centered on Superman’s grandfather, Seg-El. Even though it took place 200 years before Krypton’s destruction, it made sure to show Superman’s world well. One of those good things was Brainiac. When I first saw what Brainiac looked like, I was hooked. It’s taking inspiration from Gary Frank’s version of Brainiac. He just looked right and pretty creepy as well. While he wasn’t the only good design that show gave us, he was one of the better ones. I can only hope that Brainiac will be somewhat close to this look in future movies.

10. The Winter Soldier from Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Even though Bucky Barnes is a hero these days, he still has that whole Winter Soldier thing in his past. It’s kind of a simple look with the dark tactical suit, mechanical arm, and that weird mask thing. It’s a look that made the Winter Soldier a force to be reckoned with. When you can throw around Captain America pretty easily, there’s a chance that you’re probably pretty cool.

11. The Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

The Turtles made the last list, so I might as well throw their main adversary on this one. Besides, it’s a costume that’s pretty faithful to the original comics. I know probably threw some kids off since the costume from the 80’s cartoon was a little different. The moment you see him, you know he’s someone you don’t want to mess with. He made mince meat of the Turtles at the end, remember?

12. The Vulture from Spider-Man: Homecoming

If there’s one villain I thought was kinda lame, it was the Vulture. Just look at his first costume! Yeah, it may have looked threatening back in the day, but it looks lame now. So, imagine my surprise when I see Michael Keaton playing  Adrien Toomes and piloting a pretty awesome contraption? It was a cool for the character. It made him look large and in charge. It made him look like a legitimate threat.

13. The Joker from The Dark Knight

I knew that I was going to throw a Joker on here somewhere. At first, I did consider Jack Nicholson’s Joker, but I then I looked him up and… I had to go with Ledger. I think it was those horrible pants Napier had. I know the Joker is flashy, but come on! Even though Ledger’s Joker wasn’t too accurate to the comics (war paint), it was a pretty good look. It was simple for the Joker, but it works. It definitely was better than the poser from Suicide Squad.

14. Storm Shadow from the G.I. Joe movies

I didn’t want to forget about the other ninja from the G.I. Joe movies. Storm Shadow’s costume was pretty awesome in both films. Heck, it was one of the only good costumes in Rise of Cobra and even trumped Snake Eye’s costume. The only thing he’s kinda missing is the COBRA logo, but that would probably mess up that white motif he has going on.

15. Catwoman from Batman Returns

Finally, I gotta get a lady on here, and it might as well be Catwoman from Batman Returns. It’s a costume that isn’t too accurate, but it is pretty striking. Black works well for Catwoman. It’s also quite sexy, and yes, I might as well comment on it. One wonders what was going through Tim Burton’s mind with this costume.

……………………………………

Well, I’ll go on and end it here. Unlike superheroes, there is a limit on cool supervillain costumes. Next time, it’ll be time to talk about some bad costumes in live action. That should be fun. Until then, Peace, God Bless, and be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment