Well, it's the end of the month and I've made it to the toughest post: ranking all of these movies. I can say that I really enjoyed this month. While I probably won't do another Star Trek Month, know that the other shows and some more Trek Novels and comics (!) will show up on here one day. Now, you can probably guess which will be #12 (least favorite) and #1 (Most Favorite). I decided to name it the way I did because I do think there are things to like in all of these movies. Yet, there are some that I do consider to be better than others. Hopefully, I can at least give you a good reason on why I think one movie is better than another. With all of that said, let's start this thing!
12. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - It looks like it's my least favorite movie out of the franchise. Of all of the movies I would want to watch again, this one and a couple of others are at the bottom of the list. While the relationship between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy does carry the movie, there's just some much about this movie that isn't good. The humor's flat and the story isn't well told.
11. Star Trek: Generations - Yep, this one. I said before that this was my least favorite TNG movie. I think this one also doesn't have much re-watchability for me as well. While it has a couple of good scenes, the rest is just not that good. Kirk just feels thrown in towards the end, Data acts a little too wacky at times, and the villains are pretty lackluster.
10. Star Trek: Nemesis - This one is basically the same way as the other two. I mean, it's a the bottom of my DVD box! While it is action-packed, Data is actually acting like Data, and Shinzon is well-acted, the rest of the movie is not that great. The villain does act dumb at times, that "violation" scene wasn't needed at all, and the "shocking" death is seen from 10 miles away. I even almost fell asleep towards the end when re-watching this though that could have been the sinus pill taking affect. For a last movie, it's just not that good.
9. Star Trek: Insurrection - While the plot is different from the "We gotta save Earth" plot, it's still not that great either. The kind aliens aren't really that interesting, Data's turned into a comedian again, and the villains aren't that great either. While there is humor here, it's a little dumb. Still, I did laugh at how stupid that "Enterprise Joystick" is.
8. Star Trek (2009) - The reboot gets this spot because... it might as well. While I do enjoy the action, a majority of the characters, and the music, the story is pretty weak. The story just has a lot of weird things in it. Throwing Kirk off the ship was one of those weird things. Also, the villains were kinda bland. Still, they were more menacing than clones, men with bad skin jobs, and "the God Wanna-be."
7. Star Trek Into Darkness - The sequel to the reboot gets this spot because I did think it was a little better than the first in some areas. I liked the banter between Kirk and Spock, the rest of the main crew get some good moments, and the villain was pretty cool. While it was someone who we met before in the old series, I did like the new take on "John." My main beefs with the movie were the constant homages to WoK and that the ending felt rushed.
6. Star Trek: The Motion Picture - So why is this movie is at number six? I have my reasons. It's the most "sci-fi" out of all of them. I liked seeing the characters band together again. The plot is also pretty interesting. Lastly, this movie gets blasted for being the worst and that's not true at all. The only real negative this movie has is that it so slow moving. The camera constantly lingers on the effects. While the effects are good, there should be more than just good effects. Also, who came up with those costumes?
5. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - While the plot revolves around looking for whales, it's still one of the best Trek movies. One reason I like it is because of the humor. It's done well and unlike most movies in the franchise, it doesn't feel forced. Add the fact that the movie has good characterization and ends the semi-trilogy on a high note.
4. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock - Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon... Crap, I still have to say more, don't I? Well, it's a movie that boarders between "average" and "above average. " The acting is well done, the plot is good for the most part, and seeing the crew go rogue was cool. The villains were pretty cool. It's Klingons, for goodness sake! The only thing I really don't like about it is the death of David because it just felt so unnecessary.
3. Star Trek: First Contact - Yes, this movie ranked high on my list. Does it have its issues? Yeah. Luckily, the pros outweigh the cons in a big way here. I like overall plot to the story, I think all of the crew gets used in unique/funny ways, and the Borg are a threatening villain. Also, it might have the best musical score out of all of the movies.
2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - I remember when this one came out in theaters. I was about 4 or 5 at the time. I never saw it till later of course. This one makes it to #2 for a few reasons. First, it's a worthy end to the TOS era. Second, it explains why tensions between the Federation and the Klingons was so low during the TNG era. I like the acting, the themes, and the most of the humor (there are a couple of scenes that leave me baffled though).
1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - I knew this would be number one. It's my favorite Trek movie and one of my favorite movies in general (hmm... may do that someday...). Anyway, I like everything about this film. The acting's top notch, the story's well told, and the space battles are well done. Is it perfect? It has its moments, but the likes completely outweigh the dislikes here. It's just an awesome movie.
................................................................................. . . .
Well, I'm tired of talking about Star Trek, so I officially end Star Trek Month. It was good.
Now, I must find a telephone booth to change clothes in because Superman Month is back and it's coming early!!!!!
NEXT TIME: SUPERMAN DOING WEIRD THINGS, MAX FLEISCHER, AND MAYBE EVEN A MOVIE!!!