Sunday, August 18, 2013

Top 36 Heroes - Part 2

Well, it looks I got six more heroes for the day. I don't have much too much to say, so let's get to it!

30. Robin Hood

Next on the list is the old-school archer himself. He’s the man who steals from the rich to go give to the poor. If that’s not a thing to like about him, I don’t know what is. So what’s so cool about Robin other than the fact that he uses a bow and arrow? Well, as I said before, he’s a man of the people. In most iterations, he wants to help the poor and stick it to “The Man”, man!

I haven’t seen too many versions of Robin Hood in the media. I do remember seeing the Kevin Costner version once long ago. I also haven’t seen the Russell Crowe version yet either. You know, I just noticed that Superman’s fathers were Robin Hood at one point. Strange. Anyway, my favorite iteration of the character would be the Disney version from 1973. That movie was and still is cool.

29. Goliath from Gargoyles

Disney’s Gargoyles was one of the best cartoons from the 90’s. The stories, the action, and the characters were pretty cool. One reason I liked the show was because of Goliath, leader of the Gargoyle clan.  Not only was he an awesome fighter, he was a smart, educated being. He actually named himself  'Goliath' and that was rare because gargoyles don’t normally name themselves. While he has moral qualities, he does have a short temper. He and the rest of his clan had to constantly put up with the fear and sometimes outright hatred of humans. Still, he doesn’t let that stop him from constantly coming to their aid. Last but not least, Keith David provides the voice for Goliath. That alone would give the character a spot on the list.

28. Hercules

Sometimes, it’s best to go old-school. For those who don’t know, Hercules (or Heracles in the Greek translation) was the son of Zeus in Greek mythology. Since he was born from a human mother (because Zeus was such a “playa”), he was only endowed with superhuman strength. He’s mostly well known for his Twelve Labors… I don’t know what they are though. I do think one of them involved him freeing Prometheus from his torture.

Anyway, the hero has been an inspiration for a lot of modern-day heroes like Superman. Where do you think Grant Morrison got the idea for Superman’s labors in All-Star Superman from? When it comes to media, my favorite version of the character is Kevin Sorbo’s version from the 90’s series. The show may have been cheesy, but Sorbo made it cool.

27.  The Prince from the Price of Persia trilogy
One of my favorite game series is the Prince of Persia series for the Playstation 2. One  reason is because of the main character, the Prince (he actually gets no name). In the games, he’s facing challenges which are partly his own fault. He’s not a perfect character. He’s prideful, a little narrow-minded, and kinda sexist (lol). Still, he’s able to overcome those personal obstacles and grow as a character. He’s also brave, heroic, and well gifted with agility. If you want to know why the Assassin’s Creed franchise is so awesome, look at this franchise.  If only I could beat those last bosses in the second and third games… Man, those are hard! I do think the movie with Jake Ghylannhol (?) was okay though.

26. Storm from the X-Men
Next on the list is Ororo Monroe aka Storm. So, why Storm? Other than the fact that she’s a fine ‘sista, she’s probably my favorite X-Woman. Her powers are pretty cool. As her name suggests, she has the ability to control the weather. Not only is she a caring and compassionate person, she has also proven herself to be a good leader. She has led the X-Men a number of time. My favorite version of her in the media has to be from the 90’s animated show. Unfortunately, the movies haven’t done much for her character, but I blame that more on the direction and less on Halle Berry who’s okay. By the way, I really wish they got Angela Bassett! All in all, Storm is one mutant you don’t want to mess with… or do you?


25.  Captain America

I’ll go on and admit that I’m not a big fan of ‘Cap. Still, there are some stories that I think are pretty cool. I own most of Ed Brubaker’s run and I think highly of the trade War and Remembrance.  There are also a lot of qualities to him that I really like. First, he’s a soldier. Not many superheroes can fess up to that. There’s also the fact that he’s a man out of his own time and I like it when stories deal with that aspect. He’s a guy doesn’t stand down to anyone. Whether it’s Thanos (in the above picture) or the Nazis, he takes on every challenge with that awesome attitude. Lastly, he’s one of my favorite Avengers. It never really feels like the Avengers without him holding out his shield and running into action. I thought Chris Evans played an awesome Captain America in the recent Marvel movies.  

.....................................................

Well, that's all for today. I'll be back tomorrow with some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment