Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Movie Talk - The Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Movies

Next up for the month is a look at a kung fu movie that’s critically acclaimed. Not many in the genre can say that, but this one can. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a movie I’ve heard things about but never saw it until this year. Yeah, I’m kinda lame like that. I think I may have said “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Negro” at some point in my life. I know one reason I didn’t watch it was because it wasn’t dubbed. Also, I know I wasn’t the biggest fan of the wuxia style of martial arts films. It took me a while to get there, folks. I think movies like Iron Monkey, Hero, and Fearless helped get me there.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was released in 2000, and it was directed by Ang Lee. It was based on a novel of the same name. It ended up getting nominated for some major awards. It was even nominated for 10 Academy Awards, and it won four of them. The movie starred some big names like Chow Yun-fat and Michelle Yeoh. It also brought acclaim to actress Zhang Ziyi. A sequel was also released a couple of years ago called Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny. It wasn’t as critically acclaimed, but it did bring back Michelle Yeoh in her role. It also stars recognizable names like Donnie Yen and Jason Scott Lee.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The movie takes place in the 19th century. Master Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun-fat) gives his legendary sword, the Green Destiny, to Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh) so she can take to an old friend. These two have unrequited love for one another, but don’t act on it for reasons. The sword ends up getting stolen by someone skilled in the same style Li teaches. Shu Lien then goes on the search for the thief and comes across  Jen Yu (Zhang Ziyi), a young woman who is much more than a soon-to-be bride. Insert themes of unrequited love, rebelliousness, revenge, female empowerment, and a whole lot of wire-fu.

I don’t know why it took so long to see this movie because this was pretty good. If you’re someone who doesn’t like reading subtitles, I’d shelve that dislike for this one.  The story is pretty good overall. I didn’t know what to really expect with the romance between Mu Bai and Shu Lien. I thought that was played pretty well. I also thought Jen was a nice wild card. She wasn’t too likable, but that may have been the point. While the story can move a little slow at times, the characters make it an interesting watch.

Then, you get to the awesome choreography.  What can I say about it other than it’s awesome? Yeah, it’s not grounded like some films, but I like that about this one. It’s pretty akin to folklore or mythology. You got folk gliding rooftops and trees like they’re superheroes. The best fight of the bunch is the throwdown between Shu Lien and Jen towards the end. The cinematography and music is awesome and it’s easy to see why this won the Awards it did. The only thing that is a bit of a negative is that it can be a little slow at times. Other than that and maybe a couple of nitpicks, this is one of the best kung fu movies.
"I'm just gonna hang around on this limb here."


Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny
The movie was released in 2016 and takes place about 18 years after the first movie. Shu Lien (Yeoh) went into solitude after what happened in the first movie. She only comes out because Master Te, an old friend and the holder of the Green Destiny, has died. She ends up entering into a new conflict as warlord Hades Dai (Jason Scott Lee) wants the Green Destiny so he can rule the martial world. He also has quite a few skilled fighters on his side. Luckily, Shu Lien has some help from a few folk. There’s Snow Vase, a young woman who reminds Shu Lien of Jen. Then, there’s a group of warriors who still follow the code of the Iron Way. They’re led by Silent Wolf (Donnie Yen), a man who has ties to Shu Lien and Li Mu Bai.
The two good parts in the movie.

This movie was okay at best. Let me get the good out of the way first, though. I did like how most of this tied into the first movie. We end up seeing what happened to Shu Lien as well as a couple of characters who were important to her. I liked seeing Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen team up even though this isn’t their first outing together. Even though he’s pretty much a cackling villain here, it was cool to see Jason Scott Lee in a martial arts movie again. The fight scenes were okay but not bad. The final fight was pretty cool, but that’s about it in terms of coolness.
 

As for the negatives, where do I start? It’s definitely a few notches down from what Ang Lee’s movie was. I think part of that has to do with the fact that it’s a Netflix production, but even then, it feels lacking. The story wasn’t as good here. It did feel like the writers were trying to rehash some of the same story beats from the first movie. The acting felt a bit off. I don’t know if it was the actors themselves or the dialogue, though. I also felt there were too many characters running around in this one. That didn’t make much sense especially when the runtime was around 90 minutes.

While the fight scenes were numerous and at times fun, something felt off about them. I couldn’t lay my finger on why at first. I realized that the camerawork felt weird especially when the more fantastical stuff happened. I also noticed that we didn’t get too many long shots of some pretty cool stunts like we did in the first movie and some other movies. So many cuts were here and I don’t like that. Even though I had issues with the movie, I can’t call it horrible. It’s passable, but know you’re getting something that’s not that good.
So, we got two dudes who either played Bruce Lee or played characters portrayed by Bruce Lee... Cool.

……………………………………………………………………

In the end, one out of two good movies isn’t too bad. Even though the long-though-not-that-awaited sequel isn’t really good, you should check it out once. I do recommend the first movie. Even if you don’t like foreign films, do what you can with this one. It’s worth it. Well, I’m off to write about one of my favorite game franchises while watching a retrospective on Fullmetal Alchemist. Until then, Peace, God Bless, and don’t let promises to dead people get it in the way of true love.

No comments:

Post a Comment