Friday, April 13, 2018

TV Talk - Battlestar Galactica Season 2

Well, spring has finally decided to show its lovely face. Unfortunately, you weren’t able to tell that for a bit. I guess God was like “Well, I gave y’all 70 degree weather in Feburary, so winter’s gonna stay for a little longer!” Welcome to Tennessee, folks. During my week off from work, I thought it was time to check up on those 12 Colonies of Kobol. I pretty much knocked through Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica. I even started on Season 3 before the break ended. My plan was to talk about this season next month, but since I’m pretty much done with it, it’s coming now.

Season 2 of BSG aired between 2005 and 2006 with a long break between the first 10 and last 10 episodes. That’s why this season is split up into two DVD sets in some regions. I was more or less watching the show at this time. While football games weren’t in the way anymore, there was still college life and work (I worked at Wal-Mart during the summer) to consider. I know I missed some episodes but I know I watched the last few episodes of the season as they aired. It’s hard to forget about the end of Season 2.

The season picks up with the events of what happened in Season 1’s finale. Let’s just say that a crapload of crap happens and it’s a while before things get back to the status quo. There was insurrection, someone got shot, and Ellen Tigh was being annoying as usual. They’re still on the way to Earth and the Cylons are still on their tail. We even find out that there are more survivors on a Battlestar called the Pegasus. As she show continues, we get into a lot of struggles within the fleet. We even get a few new Cylon human models played by some cool sci-fi alums. It all culminates with an ending that I’m still shocked by to this day.

PROS
Lee: Guys, you know that lady got you in deep, right?
Helo: I bet you’d keep your mouth shut if you read next season’s scripts.
Tyrol: I know that’s right. Also, watch the donuts, okay? Just saying.

This season is more or less on par with Season 1. We even get extra episodes (20 episode run) to play with. As usual, the stories revolve around the external and internal threats the fleet faces. A variety of topics and ideas get thrown around on screen. While some are timeless, others are a bit more current. Yeah, I’m talking about the abortion episode. Even when a couple of episodes aren’t completely on point (I’ll get to “Black Market” later), you still get things that make each episode worthy to watch. The show also managed to surprise me at times. While you got that with Season 1, the surprises get ramped up in Season 2.

The characters shined as usual. You see most of them get put through the gauntlet this season. How did Tyrol make it through this season anyway? Of course, Adama, Baltar, and Starbuck (mostly) were pretty good. I also thought characters like Helo, Tyrol, Dualla, and ‘ole Col. Tigh were pretty nice too. Well, Tigh could be an ass, but at least he’s one who has his good points. One does still wonder how he and Adama became friends, though. We also get a better idea on how the Cylons work as well. We find out that they sort of can’t die. When their body is destroyed, their mind gets transferred into another body. As we find out, that does have its limits, though.
When a Star Trek alum (Michelle Forbes) shows up, you know things are going to heat up.

We also get a couple of new additions to the already big cast. Sci-fi/fantasy alums Lucy Lawless, Michelle Forbes, and Dean Stockwell end up playing some surprising roles. James Remar even shows up for a bit. The visual effects are a bit better from the previous season. What space battles we got were quite cool. Even the CGI Cylons look a little better as well. The looks for the Pegasus and an experimental craft called the Blackbird (RIP) were nice. Lastly, the music was still on point and really good. If there’s one hero for the whole series, it’s composer Bear McCreary.


CONS
You know, I can see why some don’t like Pres. Roslin. Also, is this reminding y’all of something? Hopefully, I didn’t bring up any memories of November 8th, 2016 up.

As usual, I don’t have too many issues with this season. While it’s pretty much all good, you’ll have some issues here and there. I’ve been going through a reappraisal of Roslin. While I do like her, there have been times where some decisions have been a bit grating. The same can be said for Kara (Starbuck) and Lee Adama. I still like them, but they have their “meh” moments. Also, some acting and writing could be a little off here and there sometimes.

It did take a little long for the status quo to be set back together. While I did like a lot of what was done in the early season episodes, they kinda took the long way to get there. I get why, since there are a lotta folk on this show. I can see why Billy (RIP) got killed off. Lastly, you’d get a couple of episodes that were not winners. The one fans tend to bring up is “Black Market” and I can see why. It’s not a particularly good one and could make for a “Weird BSG Episode” post if I ever do that. Other than those things and some nitpicks (why did the Blackbird have to go so soon???), this was a pretty good season.
Okay, Adama's and Tigh's flashbacks were not that great. I can see why most of them got left out. Also, wouldn't have been hard to find younger actors for these scenes? At least Olmos' cool mustache show up.

FAVORITE EPISODES
While "Black Market" isn't a good one, at least we get another tense scene between old Apollo and new Apollo.

Finally, here are my favorite episodes from the season in chronological order:
1. Scattered – While the Galactica is reeling from the last season’s events, it gets separated from the rest of the fleet. Also, Tigh gets put in charge since Adama… is out.
2. Home Parts 1 and 2 – The fleet looks for the lost tomb of Athena on Kobol and it may have the key to finding Earth.
3. Final Cut – A pretty recognizable broadcast reporter is assigned by President Roslin to give a human face to the military on Galactica and show it to everyone.
4. Pegasus – The fleet finds out that the Battlestar Pegasus also survived the attack on the 12 Colonies. Things do get a bit heated when the two crews start to mingle.
5. Resurrection Ship Parts 1 and 2 – The battle between the Galactica and the Pegasus comes to a halt as they decide to attack the Cylons.
6. Downloaded – We find out what happened to a couple of recognizable Cylons when their minds were rebooted into new bodies.
7. Lay Down Your Burdens Parts 1 and 2 – While the Presidential Election is going on, a habitable world is found in a hidden nebula.

……………………………………………….

Overall, this was pretty good season. While it had its slips and falls, even an average BSG episode made for good television. Well, I should have the 3rd season ready for next month. I’ve gotten to the one that involves a lotta boxing, so pray for me on that one. Anyway, I off to do some excercising. Peace, God Bless, and try not to let your prized ships get blown up. Yes, I’m still bitter about the Blackbird going to “The Big Shipyard in The Other Sky.” Dang it, Lee! That was a nice ship!

No comments:

Post a Comment