Saturday, February 5, 2022

Movie Talk - The Lawnmower Man Movies

So, I was just perusing HBO Max a couple of days ago, and I ended up coming across The Lawnmower Man 2: Jobe’s War on there. I had to sit there and laugh for a couple of seconds because I know this movie has been completely panned. I vaguely remember seeing a trailer for it back in the 90’s (I think it was on the Mortal Kombat VHS) and thought to myself, “That looks interesting.” I was probably also thinking about its predecessor, the Lawnmower Man, which I think I saw at that point. I’m just not sure. All I know is that it aired on NBC one weekend.

The Lawnmower Man was an original screenplay (called “CyberGod”) that took its title from one of Stephen King’s short stories. Other than a weird lawnmower man and death being involved, there is no cyberspace in the original story. Heck, it came out in the 70’s. The screenplay eventually made it to theaters in 1992, and Stephen King didn’t like that his name was on it. He took New Line Cinema to court and actually won the case. The sequel, Jobe’s War or Beyond Cyberspace, was released in 1996. I ended up re-watching The Lawnmower Man Director’s Cut at the hospital after Andy was born. I needed a bit of a break while Liz and Andy were asleep. I just recently saw Jobe’s War on HBO Max.

The Lawnmower Man

The movie is about Jobe Smith (Jeff Fahey), an intellectually challenged handyman who gets caught up in a government experiment. Dr. Lawrence Angelo (Pierce Brosnan) promises Jobe that if he participates in these experiments, he’ll get smarter. The experiments involve Jobe taking drugs and entering virtual reality to get the desired result. Jobe does gets smarter, but things start to go down a dark path as he starts to exhibit telepathy and telekinesis. He also starts to abuse these abilities by taking revenge on some townsfolk. He eventually comes to the conclusion that he must evolve into a completely digital being and take over every computer in the world. Dr. Angelo, the team he works for, and Jobe’s only friend Peter (Austin O’Brian) try to make sure that doesn’t happen.


This was a pretty forgettable movie. I will say that the concept is interesting and has been done before elsewhere. Stories where simple men become vengeful deities can be fun at times. Jeff Fahey’s okay as Jobe, and I don’t know if I buy Pierce Brosnan as a fringe scientist. Seeing Jobe start to rise up in the world and get chicks was funny. Also, while the movie only takes the name and a couple of plot points from King’s short story, it still feels like a King movie… one of the bad ones, mind you.

Okay, that looks kinda threatening.

The movie goes downhill when Jobe goes all crazy though. The CG really dates the movie. CG Jobe looks horrible in that 90’s CG way. We even get to see weirder CG with cops being transformed into digital bytes. I will say that the ending wasn’t too bad, and I can see how someone can get a sequel from it. How it ended up being a movie with a score of 2.5 on IMDB is a question that needs to be asked. Still, the first movie wasn’t horrible but not good either. Just don’t expect a lot of good to come from it.

Yes, this is indeed pretty horrid.

The Lawnmower Man 2: Jobe’s War or Beyond Cyberspace

Next, we have this “lovely” treat. The only cast member who returns is Austin O’Brian as Peter. This time, Jobe is being played by Matt Frewer who’s known for Max Headroom. After the end of the first movie, Jobe is found by a group of scientists who nurse him back to health and hook him back online. Their leader, Johnathon Walker, uses Jobe to finish a computer chip that will link every computer system in the world. What Walker doesn’t know is that Jobe is still on his “I’m a God” mode and wants to use the chip to take over all of cyberspace. He even uses Peter to find Dr. Trace, the man who originally created the chip. Peter, who’s now a part of a hacker group, Trace, and another scientist realize what Jobe is planning to do, so they set out to stop him and Walker.

Oh man... this really is Highlander 2! Quick, get Michael Ironside!!!

So, this movie is a mix between a few things: Blade Runner, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Highlander 2: The Quickening. This movie could also use another name: Lawnmower Man 2 – The Quickening for Kids! This movie earns its 2.5/10 rating on IMDB. I actually went to sleep during it at first, but I did start watching it late at night. There really isn’t anything good about the movie. The only thing I could say is good is the performances from Patrick Bergin, aka “Not Pierce Brosnan”, and Matt Frewer. I mean, they ain’t too good in the roles, but then again, I gotta find something. Also, a couple effects look okay, but that’s it.

Ssssomebody stop him! No, seriously, I need this movie to end now!

Everything else about this movie sucks to the third Heaven. Heck, even the devil would disown this filth. The story is nonsensical and pretty convoluted. It throws around a crapton of computer jargon that probably wouldn’t even make sense to most computer nerds. It retcons stuff from the previous movie for no reason.  It moves at a frantic pace with a lot of plot beats being skipped. I also find it weird that even though they recast Jobe’s role, they still didn’t bring the Dr. Angelo role back for this one.

My goodness... I never knew green screen could be butchered this much.

The acting and dialogue is horrible from almost everyone. Even the ones I mentioned above aren’t safe from it. Frewer comes off like a weird off-shoot of Jim Carrey at times, and not a good one either. The visuals look pretty bad here. It’s so bad that I can almost forgive the first movie’s CGI. I mean, that looked bad, but the first one was in the early stages of CG. I don’t think I can give the same sympathy for Jobe’s War. Overall, the movie’s a waste of time. It’s not even “so bad, it’s good.” Heck, if you want to see a movie similar to this, just watch Highlander 2: the Quickening. It’s bad, but I can at least have fun with that one!

…………………………………………………………

Overall, one out of two ain’t too bad with this bunch. Do I recommend any of these movies? Eh, I say proceed with caution. The first movie isn’t too bad, but that last one… ugh. They’re both on HBO Max if you’re that interested in seeing them. I think the Director’s Cut is still on Tubi, but I’m not sure. Well, diaper duty (or doo-dee, ha ha ha) awaits us. Until then, Peace, God Bless, and be careful out there.

Pierce Brosnan thanking God that he didn't return for the sequel. He was shooting Goldeneye at this point, so he really lucked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment