Thursday, April 16, 2020

Favorites - 12 Favorite Songs from Mr. Mister

It’s been a minute since I’ve gone into some music, so I thought I’d take a left at Albuquerque and talk about some 80’s pop group called Mr. Mister. I don’t have to turn in my “Awesome Black Dude” Card again, do I? Oh well, I think I switched it out for the “Average Black Dude” Card anyway. For those who don’t know who Mr. Mister is, they’re the dudes who did the 80’s classic, “Broken Wings.” Another song they’re also known for is “Kyrie.” That was where my knowledge of the group ended for years. Those were the only two songs I heard from the group. I can thank Mixed 92.9 FM for that.

It didn’t stop there, though. As I started to peruse through different stations on Pandora, I came across the group again and something clicked for me. I think it had to do with hearing another song of theirs, “Don’t Slow Down.” For some reason, that made me want to search more for the group on YouTube, and I started to look for more music. I even bought their most successful album, Welcome to the Real World, on iTunes. As I listened to more and more, I started to become a bit of a fan. Also, and this is a personal detail, some of their music helped me get through some tough times last year. Heck, it’s still helping me.

The group was formed in 1980 and lasted throughout the decade. The members were Steve Farris (guitar and background vocals), Steve George (drums/percussion), Pat Mastelotto (keyboard and background vocals) , and Richard Page (bass and lead singer). They technically released four albums during that time with Welcome to the Real World, the second album, being their biggest one. Pull, their last album, didn’t see the light of day until 2010. It was supposed to be released in 1990, but their studio didn’t release it.  The group went their separate ways after that. Since I’ve finally listened to all four albums, I thought I’d do a list of my favorite songs. It’s not in order, but my favorites are up top.

1. Into My Own Hands – Yes, this non-hit takes the top spot for this group. Once you get past “Kryie” and “Broken Wings,” the rest of their songs on that second album were pretty good. This one really stuck out to me when I first heard it. The lyrics talk about someone who’s trying to make his world his own even after falling on hardships. I really like the chorus and that guitar solo. Hearing a live version of this is also pretty rad.

2. Kyrie – Next up is their second major hit. The song is pure 80’s but in the best way possible. The song even has an interesting meaning to it. “Kyrie elision” basically translates to “Lord,  have mercy.” Page even said that song is essentially a prayer to God. He’s asking for mercy on his journey, and right now, we could all use that. Also, the singing here, especially in the chorus, is awesome.

3. Don’t Slow Down – And this is the song that kinda started this journey. I will say that I heard this song during a high point last year. The message is clear: don’t slow down, y’all! Not only does it work as a nice love song, it also works as a banging workout song.

4. Something Real (Inside Me/Inside You) – This song is from their third album, Go On. While the album is nice, it wasn’t as successful as their previous outing. Luckily, this song made it into one of my favorite from the group. It’s pretty inspirational song that says we all got something inside us all that brings us together.  While the song is awesome, it’s music video is horrible. You might get seizures from that thing, so just check out a live version or the audio.

5. Broken Wings – Next up is their biggest hit. This is the song that the group is pretty much known for. It’s a beautiful song. While it is a love song about fighting for a failing relationship, it has some personal stuff for the group itself. The song was apparently born out of their recovery from drug addiction. Whatever the meaning the song has, it’s definitely something that’ll make you want to get your wings and fly.

6. Life Goes On -  Now, this is from their first album, I Wear the Face. That album is fine, but only a couple of songs really get my attention. This was their last song on the album, and it really got my attention with its pretty groovy beat and melody. The lyrics may be a pretty simple, but it’s a pretty fun one. The music actually reminded me of “Bring on the Night” from the Police. In fact, I saw a couple of similarities between the two since you got Sting and Richard Page, two bassists, doing good lyric work.

7. Is It Love – Next up is a song that we can all relate to. While it is a pretty upbeat song, the person in the song is wondering is there any love in the relationship… eh. Anyway, the quick guitar solo here is pretty rad. While it’s a short song, it’s one that packs a punch.

8. Healing Waters – This is from Go On and it’s here where the group really go for that gospel feel. Shoot, they even got a choir at the end like this is “Man in the Mirror” or something. That’s not a bad thing, though. I personally enjoy the song. If you’re feeling down, take a listen. Even if you’re feeling fine, check it out.

9. Learning to Crawl – This was their first song off from Pull. Of all the songs, this was the only one that really brought me in. I’ll have to do another listen to that album to see what’s there. You can definitely tell they were going for a newer sound in this one. You could also tell their former guitarist, Steve George, wasn’t around anymore. Anyway, I like this one. Even though its much mellow from most of their songs, the music, the singing, and the lyrics are nice. Who knew talking about new life would sound so good?

10. Stand and Deliver – This song was on Go On, and it was used in the movie, Stand and Deliver, starring Edward James Olmos. I actually saw that movie back in high school.  It was the last single they had before they broke up. The song, like most songs on that album, was of the inspirational type. It was also one of the few songs there where they really got to groove a bit. It’s not one of my personal favorite, but it’s a good one.

11. Welcome to the Real World – This song was from the self-titled album, Welcome to the Real World. Here, we’re talking about how the world brings a lot of joy and pain. It’s upbeat and kicking as ever. It’s also a nice way to end off an album.

12. Control – Finally, we got “Control” from Go On. The song’s simple: it’s about control. We all want in our lives. The music here’s pretty good and I like the message. As I said, it’s one of the simpler ones.

…………………………………………….

Well, that’s all I got for this list here. Yeah, this was a random find but a good one. If y’all out there have any favorites from this band, let me know. For now, I say adios. I think it’s time to get back to some Batman. Peace, God Bless, and be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment