Sunday, September 29, 2019

Favorites - 10 Favorite Superman Movies

Well, I’m at the end of the month, and I gotta admit I’m kinda beat. There were a couple of other things I wanted to talk about, but most of those will have to wait. I’ve needed to get some house work done. Also, I’ve had some personal stuff draining me a bit. I’m fine, but I’ll get better and do better too.

Anyway, since I finally got caught up on the recent Superman animated movies, I wanted to do a different list. I wanted to list off my favorite Superman movies, and I’m not stopping at live-action either. While Superman doesn’t have as many movies as that Dark Knight guy, there are at least 10 out there I can throw on a list. They may also involve that Dark Knight guy, but considering the villains in those movies are mostly Superman villains, they apply. This isn’t going to be in any order, but I’ll list some major favorites off in the beginning. First, I might as well mention a couple that didn’t make it. Whether they’re honorable is a matter for debate:
  • Superman Returns – Yeah, it’s up here and you pretty much know why. While the cast (except for Kate Bosworth) was nice and that plane sequence was awesome, this was a subpar entry. The story homaged Superman: the Movie way too much. Also, it made some changes to Superman that felt kinda weird. Even Superman’s reason for leaving Earth in it was weird. Add that fact that it felt like it didn’t know what it wanted to be. Tying it to the Donnerverse wasn’t the best move.
  • Superman 4: The Quest for Peace – Speaking of the Donnerverse, we have its worst entry. Yeah, some could say that Superman 3 is just as bad, but I can at least find some good things in that movie. Not so here. Yes, Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman are in good form here. Also, the concept of Superman facing nuclear proliferation was good. Unfortunately, this was a Cannon Films production. The effects were lazy, the story had problems, and quite a bit got cut out of the film.
  • Superman: Doomsday – I had to add DC’s first official animated movie to the list. While the movie did house some nice visuals, had an okay story, and a fine cast, it was just okay. The fact that’s a really loose adaptation doesn’t help matters. Also, what they replaced with that story wasn’t really up to snuff. By the way, what was up with Superman’s face??? Those lines… why? At least we finally got a better adaptation of that story years later.
1. Superman: The Movie – It’s the granddaddy of all superhero films. Even though one could say it’s a bit dated, and some of it is, it’s still a personal favorite of mine. Pretty much everything was done right from the casting to the visuals. Christopher Reeve sold it as Superman. Everyone else were pretty good too. While I’m not the biggest fan of this version of Lex Luthor, Gene Hackman was pretty good. The effects look good for the time and they still work now. The music from John Williams is legendary. While there are some weird odds (Lois’s “Can you Read My Mind” thing, the world-reverse thing, and a couple of other things), this is still a great movie.

2. Superman Vs. The Elite – This movie was a pretty close adaptation of Action Comics #775. There, Superman went up against amore brutal hero team called the Elite. This is probably the first movie where Superman’s no-kill policy is tested and I thought it handled all of that well. Even though I kinda have no problem with Superman doing the deed as a last option (and written well), I’d rather see him not kill. Hopefully, this doesn’t contradict my next pick. Anyway, the story was solid, the action was great, and voice-acting was pretty good. We got George Newburn back as Superman for this one. While the character designs were… okay, that doesn’t stop this movie from being good.

3. Man of Steel – Yeah, I know some might have a problem with this and another pick of mine. I still think MOS was a nice revamp of Superman for modern times. It was well-casted, well-acted, and boasted some great visuals. Hans Zimmer’s score was also on fire. Superman’s first flight is probably one of my favorite superhero movie moments. Henry Cavill also did his thing as Superman. I will say that the movie isn’t perfect, though. I’m still not a fan of Jonathan Kent’s demise and some of the destruction can be a bit much. Also, Zod’s plan need a little more “oomph” for me. Other than those things, This is a pretty cool movie.

4. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies – this was the pretty accurate adaptation of Jeph Loeb’s and Ed McGinnis’s. Basically, President Lex Luthor puts a bounty on Superman and Batman. Pretty much every villain and some heroes come after the two and it is pretty much on. While the story may not be real deep, this was a pretty cool movie. Kevin Conroy, Tim Daly, and Clancy Brown returned to their iconic roles. The animation and action was on point, the banter between Clark and Bruce was cool, and Lex is probably at his most maniacal. Good stuff all around.

5. Superman 2/SM2: The Donner Cut – I thought I’d combine these two since they are pretty much the same movie. In this movie, Superman goes up against the Phantom Zone villains and also hooks up with Lois for a bit. Almost everything about the movie works. Superman’s fight with the villains was cool. His chemistry with Lois was nice too. On a recent watch, I did think Superman giving his powers up for Lois was weird, and I still think that. He’s Superman, Jor-El/Lara! He can multitask! Also, I remember the soundtrack to this movie not being as good. There’s also the Lester slapstick to consider. Unfortunately, it got much worse in the later installments. Even after those issues, this is still a good time.

6. All-Star Superman – This movie almost closely adapts the story of the same name. the story is considered to be a classic and I’m right there with those folks. The movie is not as classic as the story, but it is still a good time. In it, Superman is dying, so he does his best to fulfill some labors before his time is up. The animation tries to invoke Frank Quietly’s art style, it is well voiced acted, and it has some fine action. While it is a close adaptation, it didn’t adapt some of the best things from that story. Most of those elements could’ve helped it work much more for me.

7. The Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen – This recent entry and its sequel succeeded where Superman: Doomsday failed. I might as well combine these two as well. While it was also not an accurate adaptation, it did its best to add a lot of the story’s elements in that new DC animated movie universe. The story, while a little slow at times, was good and did its thing in the end. The voice-acting (save for Rainn Wilson in the first movie) was nice. The animation was good, but there were points where it had issues. I covered all this in my look at both movies. It also earned that death which is something the next pick kinda didn’t.

8. Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition – Yes, this is on the list. No, I don’t think it’s the Second Coming nor is it the Anti-Christ of superhero films. While it has some issues (Jesse Eisenburg’s Lex, the whole Batman fighting Superman thing that’s already been done to death, and Superman’s death itself), I do like this one. It has a good cast even though Eisenburg does ham it up a bit. The acting is on point, certain aspects of the story are pretty good, the music was good, and it was interesting to see how this world would react to someone like Superman. It packed some mighty moments during the film. I only wish the Ultimate Edition was what we got in theatres instead of the cut-up theatre edition, though.

9. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse – This animated feature was another adaptation from Jeph Loeb’s run on Sueprman/Batman. It’s basically a new origin for Supergirl that throws in the New Gods of Apokalips. While it is more of a Supergirl movie in places, it still counts. The animation invokes the late Michael Turner’s art style, the story is most good, and the ladies (Supergirl, Wonder Woman, and Big Barda) really get to shine. Yeah, Superman and Batman do their thing, but to invoke the 90’s for a second, I must say the following: GIRL POWER!

10. Superman 3 – Finally, there’s this movie. Yeah, it’s not that good. The overbearing slapstick kills this movie. Having Richard Pryor here is fine, but I don’t think he was needed. Also, the villains here are pretty much carbon copies of Lex and his goons. That being said, there are things I like about it. I love the Smallville scenes with Clark and Lana, Annette O’Toole is kinda hot, and Christopher Reeve is still on his A-game. Also, the fight between Clark and Evil Supes in the junkyard is still cool. Also, some of the humor worked… just some. Also, creepy robot lady!!!

…………………………………………….

Well, that’s all I pretty much have for this list. I got one more left for the month, and then I’ll be done. Here’s hoping the next Superman movies we’ll be getting can be put on this list. Also, I’m still hoping for a Man of Steel 2. Come on, Warner Bros! You know you can do it! Anyway, I’m off to bed. Peace, God Bless, and be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment