Friday, May 11, 2018

TV Talk - Star Trek: Discovery Season 1

Sarek: So, what do you think?
Michael: Well, you're not half-bad.
Sarek: I am not talking about my new body. I am talking about the show.
Michael: Well... it's not too bad.

You know, I thought I was done. I thought that we had probably seen the last of new Star Trek on TV. Since then, there have been constant re-watches of Trek on TV and online. Thankfully, I was glad to be somewhat wrong. Considering how this show has been viewed, I'm not sure for everyone else feels that way, though. In 2015, it was announced that we would be getting another Star Trek TV series. We found out that it would be set in the regular Trek universe (the Prime Timeline) and that Nicholas Meyer (the director of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country) would be involved. Bryan Fuller, a pretty popular producer, was also the showrunner.

As time went on, we started to get more news about the show. We found out that the show would revolve around a Lt. Commander. We also found things may look more different than we thought. It didn't exactly sound good since it seemed like the show could be another reboot. Also add the fact that it would be exclusive to a new streaming service called CBS All-Access in the US while the rest of the world would get it on Netflix. Then, add the fact that stuff was going on with the higher-ups with the show. For example, Bryan Fuller stepped down (or was let go?) from being the showrunner.

Finally, we saw footage... cue the rage and love. I think the phrase "millions of voices screamed out in terror" could fit but it really wasn't that bad. It seemed that opinions were all over the place. I was just waiting to see it. Anyway, the show premiered on CBS (only the first two episodes) and CBS All-Access on September 24th, 2017. We got 15 episodes spread out between September 2017 and February 2018. I actually waited until the first seven episodes were out before I joined another streaming service.

Star Trek: Discovery takes place a decade before Captain Kirk's five-year mission began. It revolves around Michael Burnham, a female commander who was raised on Vulcan by Sarek after her parents were killed by Klingons. Her actions ignite a war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. Without spoiling too much, Burnham is invited by Captain Gabriel Lorca of the USS Discovery to join his ship and help win the war. The series goes down a rabbit hole full of twists, turns, reinterpretations of existing material, and Harry Mudd.

PROS

While this show has its fair share of problems, I really enjoyed it. First off, I gotta say that it’s nice to be back in the Prime timeline. Yeah, it’s a weird, updated version of it, but I get why changes were made. Not only does the show have a big budget, it’s not 1966 anymore. If anything, the look of the Starfleet ships feel like a mix between Star Trek: Enterprise and the TOS movie era. When I see the interior of the Discovery and Shenzeou, I’m immediately thinking of the revamped Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Then, we get to the characters. While I wasn’t a fan of all of them, I did like this new cast. Saru, Dr. Culber, Captain Lorca (pre-plot twist), and Captain Georgiou immediately stuck out to me. Even though it took a while, I liked Ensign Tilly, L’Rell, the new Sarek, Ash Tyler, and Stamets. That definitely took a while for Stamets. I can also say that I kinda liked Rainn Wilson’s version of Harry Mudd… yeah, I’m shocked. Unfortunately, I only thought that Michael Burnham was okay for the main character. I’ll get to her later, though. The acting was good for the most part as well.
So, Starfleet does know how to have fun!

The stories told were good for the most part. While the idea of showing the Federation at war has been done before, it was interesting to see it in this era. We’d hear things about skirmishes between the Federation and the Klingons before, but seeing it is a different thing entirely. Even though we had that going on the foreground and background, there was also room for other things to happen with the crew and the ship itself. When this season gets halfway done, we get thrown another curveball: the Mirror Universe (I know I’m spoiling it). In my opinion, that arc was pretty much the highlight of the season.

Even though the uniforms are pretty different, I did like them. They definitely felt like an upgrade from Star Trek: Enterprise uniforms. While I have my qualms about the Klingons, I did like the different suits and uniforms they wore. I thought it was cool that the different Klingon houses had their own look to them. The special effects and action were pretty good overall. I’m still not a big fan of the Discovery’s exterior but I think it has to do with those long nacelles. Lastly, the music’s pretty nice. It harkens back to TOS and tries to be unique and modern.
If the nacelles were shorter, this would look pretty cool.


CONS
Kol: What's wrong with your face?
L'Rell: My face? What's wrong with yours?
(Both Kol and L'Rell look at the camera and into the makeup designer's soul.)

While the season had good things, it had its fair share of bad. After all, it’s the first season to a Trek show, so you know things are going to be shaky. While I liked the updated uniforms for the Klingons, the makeup is another thing entirely. I don’t know what they were thinking. At least the changes back then could make some sense. It was also weird seeing new technology show up here. A new type of drive does show up but it does get explained away at least.

Then, we get to the character of Michael Burnham. Now, I did like her but it took time to get there… a lotta time. While it was pretty nice to have a black female in the lead, things didn’t completely work. I did like the arc they had for her where she was balancing her human/Vulcan upbringing and her loyalties to Starfleet. I also thought Sonequa Martin-Green worked in the role. I just think things could have been a little better. I don’t think the writing and dialogue helped her out much.
All right, Michael. Me and Jay-Z need one answer from you: Tyson, Jackson, Jordan, or Game 6?

In fact, the writing and dialogue for most of the season wasn’t that good. Things could also get rushed a bit. I also wasn’t too big a fan of some of the early episodes. It took a while for things to get good. Then, we got to the end of the season… talk about a whimper. My guess is that someone up top told the production team to wrap everything up in a matter of two episodes. I think this is why the season got bumped up to 15 episodes. Because of this, the last two episodes feel underwhelming. They’re not bad per se since there is good stuff there, but they do feel rushed.

Lastly, and this is more of a personal thing, I wasn’t a big fan of the edginess. When we found out that the show would be on a streaming service and rated MA, I was worried. The franchise usually tried to keep things for everyone. Yeah, it would go over the bar at times, but those moments were few. While DSC isn’t as edgy as it could have been, those moments still felt out of place. I actually wasn’t too bothered by the cuss words since the movies have had them. L’Rell’s moment (you know the one) and some of other moments were still a little much for Trek. Other than those things and some nitpicks (still don’t know how I feel about Lorca’s twist), this was a pretty decent season.

FAVORITE EPISODES
Finally, here are my favorite episodes from the season. Yeah, I had some:
1. Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad – Harry Mudd returns to the show and is a bit more dangerous… yeah. I like this Mudd!
2. Into the Forest I Go – Lorca decides to use the Discovery to protect a planet against the Klingon’s most powerful ship.
3. Despite Yourself – The Discovery find themselves in the Mirror Universe and have to adjust.
4. The Wolf Inside – Still stuck in the Mirror Universe, Burnham tries to find a way for the Discovery to get back home.
5. Will You Take My Hand? – It’s the season finale where everything gets wrapped up and we see something really familiar.
6. The Vulcan Hello/Battle at The Binary Star – It’s the pilot two-parter that gets everything started.

………………………………………………………….

In the end, DSC's first season isn't perfect. It tried to take risks and not all of them worked. Still, I can call it a pretty decent first season and I’m wondering what the next season will bring. I think I won’t delete that app but I’m unsubscribing from it for now. Hopefully, DC doesn’t screw up with its own streaming service. I do recommend at least checking it out but I can understand if the show’s not for you. One thing I like about Trek is that there is variety in what you want. Well, I’m outta here, so Peace, God Bless, and don’t trust Klingons who are trying to pull off that God of War look.

Hey, man! You may be dressed nicely, but I ain’t trusting your ugly butt!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment