Friday, January 19, 2018

TV Talk - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012) Season 1

Next up for the month is a return to the sewers. It’s been a while since I’ve talked about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so it’s time get back on that mutated horse. Today, it’s Season 1 of the Nickelodeon series.

I actually wasn’t interested in this series when it came out. Since I barely watch regular TV, it just slipped by. I did look at some reviews of it on YouTube. Andre the Black Nerd would put reviews out on it. It wasn’t until just recently that I decided to watch it. All five seasons were on Hulu and I needed some TMNT love for this month. While I am still a self-professed TMNT fan, I didn’t know what to expect with it. Would be campy like the 80’s one or darker like the 2000’s one?

Season 1 started in Fall of 2012 and lasted 26 episodes. It’s pretty much the beginning point for the TMNT. Splinter (who was a man turned into a rat here) trained the Turtles for 15 years and decided it was time for them to see the surface world. When they make it there, they get right into trouble. They get two villain groups on their trail. We got the Kraang, aliens from another dimension who want to rule Earth. We also have the Foot Clan led by Ouruko Saki, the Shredder. The Shredder has a vendetta against Splinter, so you know stuff’s going to go down. It’s a staple of the franchise. Luckily, the Turtles have some help in the form of April O’Neil, a brave 16 year-old girl… yeah, they did that. Luckily, it works for this show.

PROS

I fell for this show in the first five minutes of the first episode. This was a nice, new reinterpretation of the TMNT. It takes the best elements from previous incarnations and does some new things as well. While the series is a modern revamp of the 1980’s show, it’s done in a way that doesn’t feel too childish. I remember how weird that show could get. Even though it’s full of fun and comedy, it can get pretty serious too. You can look at Splinter’s new backstory (it takes an interesting spin) for that. The stories for episodes are a mix of comedy and seriousness. It also has a lot of cool action.

The Turtles are more or less in fine form. Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines, Raphael is cool but crude, and Michelangelo is a party dud. Yes, I still remember that and I’m not that ashamed to admit it. The Turtles even sometimes jump out of those modes at times. I also like how different each Turtle looks. Splinter is cool as ever from the backstory to the look. While April’s new status as a teenager was a little weird at first, it definitely works for this show especially since one of the Turtles has a crush on her.  The Shredder and the Foot Clan are pretty nice. The Kraang are okay, though.

The animation is pretty good, though I was worried when I first saw stills. It looked pretty childish when compared to previous series. Thankfully, I was glad to be somewhat wrong since it had a lot going for it. I liked the designs to the Turtles, Splinter, The Shredder, the Kraang, and the various mutants that’d show up. Some of those mutants looked pretty creepy even for a cartoon. The ninja action itself was pretty cool. I also liked the various nods to not only previous series but other stuff. We even get a Star Trek knock-off here and it’s hilarious!

The voice-acting is on-point for everyone. You’ll get voice regulars like Mae Whitman, Greg Cripes, and Kevin Michael Richardson in roles. We got Rob Paulson (Raphael from the 80’s show) back as Donatello. Then, you got some folk I was kind of shocked about. Jason Biggs is Leonardo and Sean Astin as Raphael. Who knew Jason Biggs would make a nice Leonardo??? I also liked the guy they got for Splinter (Hoon Lee). Finally, the theme song is pretty bangin’. While it can get tiresome on a binge (most things can), it was a nice revamp of the 80’s theme. It also reminded me of Partners in Kryme’s “Turtle Power” from the first movie.

CONS
Man, this dude was annoying. I know that was the point, but still!

While I did like the show, I did have some small qualms with it. It could be a little too childish at times. Yeah, I know it’s a kids’ show and that’s expected. I think it mostly had to do with how some of the Turtles acted at times like Michelangelo. I know he’s the immature one, but the writers do go a little overboard with him times. It’s less so with the other Turtles, but it is something I noticed. Also, you’ll get some episodes that are okay at best. They’re not bad but you’re bound to run into some okay episodes in a 26-episode season. Other than those things and a couple of nitpicks, this was good.

FAVORITE EPISODES
Finally, here are my favorite episodes from the season:
  1. Rise of the Turtles – Splinter lets the Turtles go to the surface for the first time. They run into trouble easily with the aliens known as the Kraang.
  2. I, Monster – The Turtles must save the city when the Rat King sicks all of New York’s rats on the city.
  3. New Girl in Town – It’s the first appearance of Karai and Raphael gets to lead for an episode.
  4. Baxter’s Gambit – During a fight between the Turtles and Shredder’s mutants, Baxter Stockman traps both groups in a deathtrap.
  5. Karai’s Vendetta – While the Turtles have to stop the city’s water from being poisoned, April is being chased down by Karai.
  6. Showdown – The Kraang’s forces start to invade Earth while Splinter and Shredder have their first showdown in years.

……………………………………………………………………..

Overall, this was pretty good. It’s a show that has something for kids and all TMNT fans. Don’t let the animation fool you. I’ll probably get back to watching the show after this month is over with. Well, I think it’s time to get out of the toybox and get back to the grittiness. Until then, Peace, God Bless, and be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment