Friday, February 27, 2015

Random Thoughts #35 - Ice, Ice, Baby

Well, it’s cold, wet, and everything in between. The weather’s been weird this year, hasn’t it? Since I haven’t done this in a while, it’s time for another installment of Random Thoughts.

The Weather
Man, this weather’s annoying. One day, it’s sleeting. Another day, it’s raining. Then, you get the occasional snow day. I bet some bozo and his kids prayed really hard to get stuff to come here. They might have even done some dancing. Whatever the reason, just know that it’s been a challenge. I did have one mishap during the time with the ice a couple of weeks ago. I was already driving slow one night, but I skidded down a hill where a red light was. Thankfully, there were no other cars around and I found a nicely placed ice mound to stop in. It looks like I’ll have to start praying and dancing to get this weather to leave. I know God would at least be amused at my moves.

Uber-Gritty Power Rangers? Eh…”Meh”
So, there is this short film out called Power/Rangers and it’s basically a really grim and gritty version of the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers. If you’re gonna watch it, wait till you get home. It’s got some noticeable actors in it like Katee Sachoff and James Van Der Beek. Some folk like it and others don’t. Even Jason David Frank (the Green/White/Red/Black Ranger) even chimed in on it.  I saw it and I thought it was a little dull. Apparently, it was a parody that was making fun of Hollywood griming up stuff just to do it. I think it succeeded in that.

Is it possible to make a series or movie that is dark and mature? It is possible to make a series that’s darker but there has to be some lightheartedness to it. The show has had seasons where it’s gotten bleak for the Rangers. Look at seasons like Power Rangers in Space, Power Rangers Time Force, and Power Rangers RPM. Heck, even other seasons that weren’t really dark had some pretty dark moments. I know that someone is actually working another Power Rangers movie, so I hope it’s a bit like some of the seasons I’ve mentioned.

Movies
Well, it’s getting to that time and I have some movies that I want to see this year. Now, some of the ones I’ll mention are already in theatres.
  • The Kingsmen Service – It looks like this might be one to see. It’s directed by Matthew Vaughn and the reviews look nice. I may wait for it to come out on DVD though.
  • Jupiter Ascending - I know, I know. The reviews and most folk think this movie is crap. Still, it might be funny crap, so I'll see it when it comes out on DVD.
  • Selma – I know I’ll probably see this when it comes out on DVD.
  • Chappie – This looks like it might be a good sci-fi film. The director of District 9 is behind it, so it might be a watch.
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron – ‘Nuff Said. I’ll be there.
  • Ant-Man – I’m not sure about this one. I’m not a fan of the character but this could be good. I’ll wait for the word of mouth.
  • Mad Max: Fury Road – I might see this one. I’m not sure yet.
  • Jurassic World – I know I’ll possibly see this in theatres.
  • Terminator Genisys – Even though it has that horrible misspelled title, I kind of want to see it. I might wait on the DVD though.
  • Fantastic Four – Yes, I’m somewhat interested in the film. While the Fantastic Four isn’t one of my favorite superhero teams, I do like the team. If the word of mouth is good, I’ll probably see it in theatres.
  • The Man From U.N.C.L.E – Superman and a guy who almost played Batman are starring in a Guy Ritchie movie… I might see this.
  • Straight Outta Compton – You know, I might want to see this and I don’t even listen to N.W.A.
  • Spectre – I’ll probably end up seeing the next James Bond movie in theatres.
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens – I’m already there with my cloak and saber.


Women
Hmm… yeah, I got nothing to say about women this time. I will say that they are a perplexing sort.

The Avengers
Since Avengers: Age of Ultron is coming out later this year, I’m going to look at some stuff related to the team. It’s not going to be a themed month since I have one of those coming up in May. Still, I do want to look at some comics and movies/TV shows that involve the team as well as some of the characters in this coming movie like Cap and the Hulk. Stay tuned.

R.I.P., Leonard Nimoy
I had to make this unfortunate last addition to the list. Leonard Nimoy just passed today at the old age of 83 from COPD. As I said on Facebook, the man lived a long and prosperous life. He had a long career in Hollywood, he had many interests, and he helped influence a generation. His contributions to the scifi community won’t be forgotten. He also seemed like a nice guy. He’s definitely going to be missed by a lot of people including me.



Well, that’s all I got for today. I wish I could end it happier, so here’s something that might make you smile. Peace, God Bless, and be safe out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment