Saturday, March 17, 2012

Movie Talk - Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Samuel L. Jackson: I DON'T FREAKIN' BELIEVE THIS! I AM JEDI, AND AN AWESOME ONE...AND YOU WANT ME TO TONE IT DOWN?
George Lucas: Uh......yeah. Plus, all you do is sit. Get back in focus!
SLJ: WHAT? MAN, WHAT THE--
GL: Sammy....
SLJ: ....All right. you win, but I better be getting some more to do than sitting down next time!

Well, it's Star Wars Month and I think I should start with the movie that just about all revile: The Phantom Menace. Don't worry, I won't go all "X-Men 3" on this thing. I think it's an okay film actually. Yes, it does have its issues. Crappy dialogue, too much CGI, the wooden acting, and a turd called Jar Jar Binks are what people remember most about this movie. With that said, there were some good things in this movie...yeah, I said it. So, here are my 6 favorite things about TPM:

1. Qui-Jonn and Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul - Whether you like this movie or not, you have to admit that that fight scene was epic. It's the first time we see Jedi really cut out and cut up...literally. The music score also helps the scene be awesome.

2. The Music - The music here was awesome. It tried to be its own thing at times and it also meshed in some of that classic stuff from the older movies. It also helped the movie flow along even through the "Ugh" parts.

3. The Action - The action wasn't too bad. pretty much all of the action was done well. The space battle scenes were okay, but not great. Of course, "The Duel" was fantastic and some of the ground battles were okay to watch.

4. Jedi/Sith Stuff - It was cool to see the Jedi in their prime. Seeing them deal with the re-emergence of the Sith as well as wonder if Mannequin Skywalker is worth training was interesting. I only wonder how that turned out....oh yeah. Crap.

5. Palpatine/Sidious - When going back to watch these movies, it pretty much occurred to me that Palpatine played everyone and actually did it well. He definitely played Padme here as well as orchestrated the Naboo events. You gotta admit, not bad for a villain.

6. I think that's all....suckas!!!.....Oh yeah, Natalie Portman was cute here, but either she's really short or everyone here is really tall.
....................................................................

So is this the worst Star Wars movie? Maybe not. I do think that this movie is down the list and is tied for another movie in the franchise, so I don't know. All I know is this: while it's not a good movie by a long shot, it does have a couple of good things to it. Check it out if you haven't and make up your own mind about it.

NEXT TIME: EPISODE 2!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment