Sunday, December 31, 2017

Random Thoughts #47 - "2017... Need I Say More?"

Wow, it looks like both franchises have another thing in common: ticking off longtime fans.

Well, it's the last post of the year. I could say "good riddance" to 2017, but that would be a lie. Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but there was good in this year. Right now, I'm on break from work. I've been catching on some things I haven't done yet, resting, contemplating life, and freezing. Yeah, the South is definitely getting hit with winter! So, join me in another edition of Random Thoughts.

2017
As I said before, 2017 was a fine year. It wasn't really good nor was it really bad. Yeah, you could point to the world of politics, religion, taxidermy, and other weird things, but life is much more than that. There was my teeth problem to remember. There have also been some personal losses which is sad to say. Two high school classmates of mine passed away this year and I did know them a bit. I roomed with one of them during my first two years of band camp. The other one (BJ) really shocked me since I talked to the guy a couple of weeks before he died.

Even though it hasn't been all great, God's blessed me and my family with a lot this year. Work has been going well. I can finally say that my weight loss it beginning to show a bit. I'm not at my goal but 239.6 is better than being in the 250's. I finally got out my shell and talked to a certain redhead that I reconnected with last year. Here's hoping it continues to get better. I didn't get to finish my other bathroom, though, which was something I thought about doing during this break. Oh well... I needed this break.

Plans for 2018
So, what are the plans for 2018? I got a few and some are a bit familiar. Thankfully, I can add new ones to the list:
  • Get closer to God and be a better dude
  • Get out of some debt
  • Be a better boyfriend
  • Lose some more weight and actually eat right
  • Finally get my house remodeled
  • Live life to the fullest
  • Finally get a new laptop (I almost can't type on this thing!!!)
  • Run another 5K
MOVIES/TV
Here are the other movies /TV shows from this year especially a couple I just saw. You know what they are...

Blade Runner 2049 - Now, this was pretty cool. I think we've found a sequel that is on par with the original. It may even be better in some aspects. I did my best to keep myself from spoilers and I'm glad I did. Everything like the story, effects, and music was good. Ryan Gosling was memorable as K and Harrison Ford made a nice return as Deckard. The only things I could say could drag this down is the runtime and maybe Jared Leto's weirdness. I wish this did better at the box office.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Now, we get to the scandalous one. If you thought Justice League was divisive, all I can say is "DANG." I can see why folk don't like The Last Jedi. It takes characters like Luke down a different path and it does some weird things with the Force. Still, I can say that I liked it. It was beautiful to look at. I also thought the plots with Luke, Rey, and Kylo Ren were pretty good. I just wish there was more of that part. While it does go a little long, I also liked the Finn and Rose subplot.

Now, there were things that were a bit off with the movie. As I said before, I wish we got more time with Luke and Rey. I also thought the Poe/General Holdo subplot was a bit weird. I still don't know how to feel about some of Luke's parts in this. Some of it was cool while the rest was a little weird. I can't say where this sits with the rest of the movies, but it is better than most of the prequels and some of Rogue One (yeah, I said it).

Star Trek: Discovery - So, I took the jump and watched the first nine episodes of DSC. I can say that I liked most of it. It'll be a while before I can say if it's all good especially since the season hasn't ended yet. It looks so different from the era where this is supposed to be taking place. I can handle most things like the looks of ships, the new uniforms (which look good), and the edgier attitude. I still think they went too far with the looks for the Klingons, though. I get they wanted them to be more alien, but I'm not a big fan of that. I will say that the ships and the costumes for the Klingons are pretty cool.
At least the costume looks cool.

Then, there's the crew of the Discovery. It's taking a while for me to like Michael Burnham. I'm still not there yet, but Sonequa Martin-Green is doing a fine job. Jason Issacs as Capt. Lorca was pretty cool. I also like Saru, Stamets, Tilly, Tyler, and L'Rell. I'm wondering if I'm right about Tyler since... well, that could be spoiling it. The effects do look pretty nice too. The Discovery herself looks weird, though. Still, I'll be watching out for this the last few episodes of this one.

......................................................................

Well, that's all I got for this post. I don't know what I'll be doing tonight since it's so freakin' cold. Just know that I shall return for 2018. I may not post too much, but I still got things to say.  Peace, God Bless, and be careful out there. If you're having problems, talk to someone about them. Just remember to take care of yourself.

COMING IN 2018: MARVEL, DC, COMICS, MOVIES, TV, SCI-FI, SUPERMAN, THE ULTIMATE UNIVERSE, RICK JAMES, THE 1994 NEW YORK KNICKS, CAROL BURNETT, X-MEN, BATMAN, KUNG FU, A COUPLE OF THOUGHTS ON WOMEN, KANYE WEST, MUSIC, AND THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS PRINCE! ALSO, YO MOMMA! I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO BAKE THAT AWESOME CAKE AND SHE CAN COOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment