Sunday, December 24, 2017

Random Episode - Batman: The Animated Series - Christmas with the Joker"

Since it is Christmas and Santa hasn’t busted down the door yet, I thought I’d talk about an episode from Batman: The Animated Series. I didn’t watch too many episodes in my youth. Today’s episode, “Christmas with the Joker,” was one of the few I saw… sort of. The cassette skips to the end in the last act. All I knew for a while was that the day was saved. It’s the 38th episode of an already long season and we got Mark Hamill back as the Joker. It’s a good thing he’s getting work these days with the Last Jedi out in theaters. So, sit back as I try to, once again, rhyme this sucka!

Bruce: What's with you, Dick? First, it was "Poison Ivy's Pillow Party" and now this! I'm restricting your Comcast purchases!

“Christmas with the Joker”
It was a nice day at Arkham Asylum.
That part is pretty clear.
Christmas was around the corner,
And the inmates were full with cheer.

Unfortunately, the Joker was also full with cheer!
That isn’t a good thing to see,
For as he finishes a great song,
He, once again, escapes and goes on a crime spree.

Batman and Robin are on the case,
Which takes place on Christmas Eve.
Luckily, jack squat ain’t happening,
And Robin is giddy like some guy named “Steve.”

It’s a Wonderful Life is on that night
And the Dynamic Duo need a break from the city’s mess.
Personally, I’ve never seen that movie,
Since I’d rather watch Ernest Save Christmas.

Unfortunately, the TV is a wreck
With the Joker appearing on every station in Gotham.
“It’s A Wonderful Life will not be seen this year,” he says,
As he airs his variety show  to cause mayhem.

Not only does the Joker have all the stations,
He also has hostages:  Jim Gordon, Harvey Bullock and Reporter Lady.
Batman and Robin rush off to save them,
But the Joker thinks ahead because he’s a little brainy?

Eh, that rhyme may not work.
It’s just not my thing.
Still, I must finish this race
Even if it confuses my utter being!
Seriously though, why is the Joker not locked away in some cell in the ocean? 

Our heroes must stop a train
From running off a damaged bridge.
They save the passengers with style
With awesome music not provided by Melissa Etheridge.

With the passengers safe,
The Duo finds the Joker’s signal at an observatory.
Unfortunately, they find firing cannons, machine guns,
But no Joker or a random bloke named Rory.

With time running out,
The Duo is at a loss.
Luckily, the Joker unknowingly gives them a clue.
He’s at a toy factory that isn’t covered in moss.

They make it to the factory
And encounter heavy resistance.
Luckily, Batman ain’t no quitter
And the Joker has no common sense.

Bataman and Robin save the hostages
And Joker goes back to his cell once more.
Now, I can end this silly thing,
And y’all can say “That made my eyes sore!”

……………………………………………………………..

So, now that I’ve embarrassed myself and let down my English teachers, what do I think of this episode? It’s a fine one. It’s not one of the best episodes. I’m even not sure if it’s one of the better Joker episodes since I know there are better ones out there. While the plot is fun, it feels a little thin. Also, some of the animation can get a little wonky at times.

Even though it’s not my personal favorite, it’s still a blast. Mark Hamill is awesome as the Joker even when the episodes aren’t that great. There are funny moments to laugh at with him around. If we got this type of Joker in live-action, the world might be a better place. I’m not sure yet. Batman and Robin also have moments to shine. The train scene is one big example. The final fight at the toy factory is also a highlight since Batman gets to live up to that name.
"They called me Crazy Joe! Now, they can call me Bat-Man!"

Overall, it’s a fun episode. It may not be one of the best but it’s still nice. Well, Christmas has come. Whatever this day is for you, I hope it’s a good one. Eat well, stay safe, be with your loved ones, and remember that it is a Monday without work. Even if you have to work today, try to have some fun. Well, I’m going to get some sleep. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah (I know I’m late on that), Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Monday, Happy Punch Hitler Day, and Happy Foot Rub Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment