Thursday, July 31, 2014

Month of Batman/Batman Month: The Conclusion

Well, I’m finally at the end of Batman Month. I have to say that it has been fun looking at these stories, movies, and TV shows. Just like Superman, Batman has been done in all sorts of ways. He’s been dark, light, and everything in between. Still, There is one question that I don’t think I’ve answered: why do I like him? It’s really something I haven’t really thought about. I went back to my Greatest Heroes' list and see what I said about Batman. It sounds about right, but it still feels a little empty.

So, what drove me to Batman in the first place? Was it the coolness factor, the costume, the attitude, or the gadgets? I really don’t know. It’s probably all of the above. My first memory of the Batman had to have come from either the 1989 movie or some cartoons from the 70’s. I probably just saw his cool gadgets and stuff and got sucked in. I didn’t actually read his comics on the stands unlike with other characters. It was mostly Superman, the X-Men, Spider-Man, or the Justice League for me.

I think what really made me a fan was the 90’s animated series. I still have some episodes recorded on VHS at the house. I don’t know how many times I saw those things. I think they still work. I even saw Batman and Robin in theatres with my family. I don’t even know why we did in the first place. Unfortunately, my radar for taste hadn’t developed yet. I can at least say that I was about at the right age for that movie.

I think the gadgets and stuff he had mostly did it. He had Batarangs, gliders, planes, boats, and the Batmobile. I mean, the car just looks cool… if it isn’t handled by Miller and Nolan. The skills and the intelligence probably helped set my fondness in motion. I’m always a sucker for martial arts and I like mysteries for the most part. Then, there’s the attitude. He’s disciplined, he’s stern, dark, and can be adaptable to most situations. He also has what’s probably the coolest secret identity. He’s a billionaire!
Yeah, I still want this car! It's freakin' awesome!!!

 I think another thing that makes Batman cool is his supporting cast. He has one of the biggest and most diverse rogues’ gallery. You have villains like the Joker, Two-Face, Catwoman, and Ras Al Ghul to give Batman a challenge. A lot of them are pretty interesting. His allies are also pretty cool and interesting. He has the Justice League on his side. While he has other help like Robin (former and current ones) and Batgirl, he also has ordinary folk like Commissioner Gordon and Alfred to help him out.

Overall, Batman’s just a cool character to get behind. Has he had his bad times? Yeah, but there is even something I can find in that badness that is a little entertaining. I know I’ve already said this, but Batman: the Animated Series (and other Timm/Dini shows) really did the character and his world justice. They did it by taking the best elements (light and dark) from Batman’s long history. The Nolan films are good too, but they (except for Batman Begins) aren't the best interpretations of the characters.

Well, I’m finally tired from talking about the “Cotton-picking, butt-kicking, woman-getting, boy-training, man-handling, black-wearing, crazy-looking, money-making, hot-blooded, gosh-darn” Batman! I doubt I’ll do another Batman month, but there are things that I may still do that are related to the character. This is Ryell saying peace, God bless, and Happy Thursday! The day has to be special for someone out there. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go read a book about some "dang, dirty, apes." 

No comments:

Post a Comment